ASUS P5N-D heatsink fan stops spinning and AT THE SAME TIME my DVD burner stops working.

G

Hello guys, had this issue since last summer, it is really weird and couldn't find similar cases in the entire web. I have this 8 years old rig with many parts that i had to change during the years, however my motherboard is still the same from 8 years ago, i think. I surely changed the PSU once or twice, my old GeForce 8800GT died in late 2011 (i truly miss it! had to downgrade to a GT440, which is MEH), i lost my original HDD last summer, the RAM was never ever changed. I also changed the heatsink fan twice from what i remember.

Well, whenever i burn a DVD, there's a chance that the burning doesn't end well. And i get damaged yellow/red files when running the disc through Nero DiscSpeed.

So, what happens, exactly? I start Nero Express, choose the files i want to burn, and start burning. Now, like i said, there's a chance that the burning doesn't end well, because... the DVD burner stops working, as i heard no disc spinning, and the "eject" button does nothing. But it doesn't end here. The heatsink fan on my ASUS P5N-D stops spinning, as well! And the only way to "fix" the issue is to move the cables coming out of the CPU (sorry, i'm Italian, my English is not perfect and i don't know technical stuff, please understand) until the heatsink fan starts spinning again, but it's only a temporary issue. My disc burning has become like a "Russian roulette" since i got this issue. I can exclude it has to do with the DVD burner because it's the second time i changed it and it still happens, so i guess it has to do with either the PSU and the motherboard itself. This is the only issue, my OS is working well, i can do anything on my PC, like gaming (old stuff, of course), web surfing, downloading. I get no BSODs or anything like that, it shuts down by itself but it happens like once or twice every month. No freezes at all, too. Really.

Oh, and by the way, i said that i can "fix" the issue by moving the cables coming out of the PSU, but doing this sometimes freezes my PC, and i had to completely shut it down to fix it (a simple reset is not enough, apparently, as it gets stuck on the motherboard logo screen)

I also noticed a similar issue with the DVD burner by using an external USB unit (my internal burner is SATA), it stops burning and spinning, the fan does the same, and so on.

Recently i also noticed that when i burn discs, sometimes they start spinning very fast and make a loud noise like an airplane, and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the DVD burner cables, damaging and losing the disc.

And on a side note, recently i noticed my USB ports on the back of my PC case have some difficulties in recognizing external HDDs (no issues with things like gaming controllers and handhelds), i mean it always worked not well, but now it reached the point that every single external HDD unit is not recognized at all. I can only use the front ports, i have 3 of them, one is used by my USB mouse dongle, the other two are free, but guess what, now only one of these work!

EDIT: i forgot to say one important thing. Sometimes, the DVD burner and the fan stop working by simply opening Nero Express and starting adding files. I'm not joking.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
I say it's a PSU related issue. When a PSU isn't fried or something stops it from working at all, as time goes by it will decrease its power output and will not provide enough to keep your system running. This can be triggered by stuff that requires more power, such as burning a disc or running a cpu intensive application. I'd say you try another PSU, but maybe its just time for a complete system upgrade.