Fresh Windows 10 install on empty hard drive, plug in old hard drive and it seems to "corrupt" it requiring a fresh install

tomtomtom2

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Hello,

I have 1 hard drive which has Vista installed on it. I have a second hard drive which is empty.

After creating a bootable USB stick, I tried to install Windows 10 on the empty hard drive. I constantly got the error "Windows installation encountered an unexpected error." I troubleshooted and discovered that when I unplugged the Vista hard drive that it installed fine. I went through installation, ensured everything worked correctly and restarted so I could plug the Vista hard drive back in and copy over my files. After reconnecting it, Windows 10 crashed on start up and got stuck in a loop of "diagnosing problem." Nothing worked and I had to do a fresh Windows 10 install with the Vista hard drive unplugged,

I completed the whole thing again to confirm it was definitely the Vista hard drive that was doing something to the Windows 10 install. When I tried to load up Vista again, it wouldn't boot until I used the recovery disk. Now I am back to where I started, except I can't plug the now Windows 10 drive in without it stopped me from booting into Vista.

I think if I format the Windows 10 drive, copy my files onto it, then format the Vista drive and install Windows 10 over it then that should work. However, the problem is as soon as I have both drives connected at the same time, it seems to "corrupt" both of them and neither will boot until the other one is removed. I thought I should be able to dual boot it?

I guess I need to figure out how I can connect both of them without there being a conflict, then I can probably solve it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
It's a compatibility issue I would guess. They probably need different settings to run, and when both are connected it's causing a conflict. You can definitely dual boot different versions of Windows on newer UEFI BIOS boards, so you shouldn't have the same issue no.

tomtomtom2

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Been through every option in the BIOS and there are no options like this.

tomtomtom2

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

It seemed to run Windows 10 fine before I plugged in the other hard drive. I definitely need an upgrade, but I wonder if I would still have the same issue with a new mobo?

It's a compatibility issue I would guess. They probably need different settings to run, and when both are connected it's causing a conflict. You can definitely dual boot different versions of Windows on newer UEFI BIOS boards, so you shouldn't have the same issue no.

Solution