Windows made every folder read only.

aptmusic9

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
For some reason, everything on my system are read only. If I change a file, it goes back to read only (8+ drives, custom built x79 i7 3930k system). If I try to save a file to a folder, it wont let me save it and tells me I cant save to the directory. I've restarted several times.

Here's some background info on likely causes. I recently put a huge folder on onedrive (100+ gb). Onedrive synced with my lowly 256gb SSD and I recieved a warning that C: is full. I attempted to delete the file and disable one drive. I think I may have triggered a glitch with windows, sinve yesterday I saw a windows 10 system dialog box randomly appear asking me to re-enter my password. Being skeptical and security concious user, I just closed the box and felt cyncial about it. And at some point today everything has become read-only. Restarting hasnt helped.

Solution
All win 10 folders are always read only, the only reason you never noticed is you had permission to use them. I have never seen it ask for password before except when I was using a local account that isn't an admin, then it asks on everything.

have you got a home group set up? if you don't,. make one and see if it fixes the problem - when win 10 first came out I had a similar problem to what you have and making a home group fixed it. Before that, onedrive seemed to have more power on my system than I did and I couldn't save anything into library folders as they were synced to Onedrive.

One drives default save location as C drive sux when you have a large file on it and it decides it needs a copy of it on your hard drive, on top of the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
All win 10 folders are always read only, the only reason you never noticed is you had permission to use them. I have never seen it ask for password before except when I was using a local account that isn't an admin, then it asks on everything.

have you got a home group set up? if you don't,. make one and see if it fixes the problem - when win 10 first came out I had a similar problem to what you have and making a home group fixed it. Before that, onedrive seemed to have more power on my system than I did and I couldn't save anything into library folders as they were synced to Onedrive.

One drives default save location as C drive sux when you have a large file on it and it decides it needs a copy of it on your hard drive, on top of the original that is there. I uploaded 35gb of music last year before i realised it would duplicate it on C. I now have it on another hard drive completely

Solution