Intel i5-2520M overheating (Fujitsu Lifebook E751)

cleef13

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I have a new to me Fujitsu Lifebook E751 that was scrapped by a company and I decided to make it as my laptop since it was slightly better than the one I had before.

The laptop has been cleaned inside and out (this includes applying new thermal paste on the CPU, cleaning and lubing the cooler) and looks in tip top shape.

The problem is that the CPU overheats so rapidly (such as when opening Firefox and going on youtube to check a video) and the cooler kicks in and makes an annoying noise.

This CPU has turboboost and most of the time it seems that (at least for a few seconds) the CPU will go into turboboost mode and, since it has to overcharge the temperature increases and, therefore, the cooler has to kick in.

In idle, temperature is slightly over 40 degrees celsius but in full charge it goes to 70ish (I haven't seen it go to 80 so far...).

The cooler goes into full speed about 50% of the time and the noise bothers me.

At the moment I am keeping turboboost off and the cooler isn't as noisy because, probably, the temperature doesn't go as high as when turboboost is on.

I am starting to believe that I might have a problem with the cooler or heatsink. I didn't really inspect the heatsink but it looked fine when the laptop was disassembled.

I'm assuming the CPU itself is working fine. Most of them, probably, go into turboboost for a few seconds sometimes but, afterwards, the cooler does the job and the temperature drops or is being maintained to a low level.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well 70 degrees is actually a totally fine temperature for a CPU in a laptop, I guess the fan profile is just a bit more aggressive than necessary. I assume it isn't possible to change it in the BIOS?

cleef13

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
No options in the bios for the cooler or the CPU from what I've seen.

As I said, I oiled the cooler as well (and cleaned it).

It didn't look damaged or anything.

I've had older laptops than this and they had no problems.

I know that 70 isn't extreme and I'm not bothered by the temperature itself but I do need to find the solution to the overheating. That's why I thought it may be the heatpipe.

cleef13

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
The paste has been applied for a 2nd time just because I thought that maybe I messed up the first time. Is it possible that the fan might be faulty or just too old ? Can a fan look good but function bad ? I might be able to replace it...

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
You might be able to get a replacement fan, although it will likely come with the heatpipes and cooler as well. Maybe check youtube to see how loud those laptops normally are...

cleef13

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
They seem to come separately. I can get the fan alone, it's 10$ but a new(ish) heatpipe is gonna be a bit difficult. We're talking about 2011-2012 technology here.

What I'm saying is that this isn't normal. Is there anything I need to be away of on a heatpipe ? Maybe it's faulty and I can tell by inspecting it...

cleef13

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Logically speaking, even if the temperature was high and the fan had to go into overdrive it still wouldn't make the noise that it makes, at least not when the laptop is new.

So now I'm thinking that maybe my fan is just worn out and might need a replacement. Is it true that these fans have bearings and that they get worn out as time goes by ?

Also I'm not sure if I lubricated it accordingly. I lubricated the fan's rod that goes into a thing and forms the whole cooler system/mechanism.

Yeah, just replace the fan. They do go bad/get noisy on occasion.

cleef13

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I managed to get ahold of an identical heat pipe + fan (had only been used for a few months at most) and it seems that it's now quieter.

What I find bothersome is that turbo boost keeps enabling itself (when my cpu raises above 100% or 2,5 GHz) a lot. I have a SSD that is optimized (disabled indexing and things like that).

It kind of seems as if it enables itself when idling as well...