Is the i7/hyperthreading relevant to gaming now?

Antoni

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Hello, I have not read about CPUs for a few years now since I made my computer. Back in 2012 people used to say most games did not utilise hyperthreading and that an i5 was the most you'd generally need for gaming. Have things changed now, are there considerable advantages to buying an i7 for a gaming PC? I would also like to ask if matching a higher end graphics card with an i5 is fine or if it makes an unbalanced build?

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
This is a debate that could go on for quite some time. I built a new machine this month and did quite a bit of research on this topic. I eventually came to the conclusion that since I would not be doing any editing, streaming, or intense multitasking, that an i7 was overkill for me, and went with an i5.

So it all depends on your specific needs.

Antoni

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Sounds like the same sort of ideology as 4 years ago still. I would not be doing any intensive video editing, photoshopping, or anything like this. I am interested in it just for gaming.

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Just a short time ago, very few games utilized the i7, nevertheless the i5 is still the way to go when gaming, and I think it will stay this way for quiet some time

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016

In my opinion, then, get the i5 and use the money saved on the CPU elsewhere in your build.

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016

that is the perfect combo at the moment, along with the i5 4690k and the 1080

Yeah, I think when Dragon Age 3: Inquisition came out there were CPU benchmarks that showed a dual core Intel Pentium CPU was unable to launch the game. However, a dual core i3 CPU with Hyper Threading was able to play the game.

So... HT certainly does have an impact in games when the game requires the CPU to process 4 threads (streams of instructions) simultaneously.