Throttled Internet Bandwidth

G

Hello,

I feel as though my PC's internet bandwidth is being throttled by something, be that because of software or hardware (I use WiFi by the way). Every device in the household gets around 16 Mb/s and works fine (no device in the household uses Ethernet or Fibre either). My PC however struggles to reach 2 Mb/s at times. This is a fluctuating problem though; one day out of ten I'll have full speed, the other nine I'll have 2 Mb/s or less. I can't move my PC anywhere for better signal, and Ethernet isn't feasable since the router is in the living room whilst my PC is upstairs. However, devices like my PS4 work fine, bearing in mind it's underneath my PC and always gets full speed. By the way, signal boosters don't work, I've had one before and it hindered instead of helped.

I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 card, and it's been updated to the most recent drivers. I once owned AVG anti virus, and so I've made sure that AVG filtering driver has been deleted, still no avail though. I use McAfee now and it reports that there are no viruses to bog down the speed. Command Prompt is showing an average ping of 4ms when I ping my router's IP address, when it should be 1-2ms.

What do you lot think it could be?

G

The thing is, is that the average ping is 1-2ms on a good day, and around 4ms or above on a bad one, so I can tell which ping is bad or not from recent investigations.

My router is a Sky Hub, it can't be the problem because it works fine for everyone else in the house. Its model number is SR102 if you're wondering.

G

Just pinged Google. I get an average of 26ms and a 25% packet loss (I always get a time out on the first packet).
Did tracert on Google too, I get a time out again but roughtly the same ping times.
I can't plug it into Ethernet.

Hi ZephyrLM,

You are never going to get a sustained or fixed speed via a wireless connection to the router or modem you have.
When it comes to wireless it will always fluctuate as you have been experiencing.

The only true way to get a sustained download speed from day to day is to have your system wired to the router period.
By using a cat 5E or a Cat 6 cable.

Your only other option depending on your house, and when it was built, how old it is in years.
Is to buy a Power line networking kit as a get around to running long cables or if you want to keep things neat without trailing wires ZephyrLM.

If you buy a decent set of adapters with a high Mbps speed, then it`s a case of connecting a short Ethernet wire or cable from the ports of your router to one of the power line adapters and plugging it into a wall socket close to the router.

Then doing the same in the room where your computer is.
Using another shot Ethernet cable from that power line adapter in the wall socket to the Ethernet port on your tower based system or laptop you use.

Power line adapters will give you a better constant download speed every day, and a slightly better and lower Ms sent and receive time in Ms when pining the router, or when playing games on line.

It really depends on how fussy you are but depending on the distance of the router and where it is located in your house to where your computer is the cheaper option is Just hard wiring from the router to your computer or paying up to £80 for a top of the line Power line networking solution with a high Mbps speed.

Depending on the age of your house, and it`s mains wiring may or also effect the final maximum speed you would get over the ring main.

The older the house the more chance speeds will be very slightly slower, the newer the better.

It`s all I can recommend you do for a better sustained download speed and lower Ping results in Ms ZephyrLM.

Click on link for a list of power line adapters in various Mbps speed ratings.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/peripherals/networking-and-wireless-lan/powerline-networking

These would do fine.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-av1000-2-port-gigabit-powerline-starter-kit-tl-pa7020-kit-nw-207-tp.html

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
25% gross Nic issue I would think . grab a phone and tether to your wif... or grab a usb wifi... see if issue still occurs

as for HERP DERP wifi is never fast all the time.... well sure but 25% packet loses is a defiant issue and is NOT expected on wifi.

G

I have 25% packet loss every single time I ping Google or one of its subsidate companies. It's always the first packet too, even if I have max speed.

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
"I have 25% packet loss every single time I ping Google or one of its subsidate companies. It's always the first packet too, even if I have max speed."

ummmmm hate to be this guy but that is not normal. I have worked at 3 isp's and 25% loose to google is shit
then again if it is literally just google .... okay i suppose. test other sites yahoo bing tomshardware ..etc if you keep getting loses then its the Nic

and if you have a cell use it to tether throu to the Wifi if all is hunky dory then it is the wireless card of your pc.

G

Pinged Yahoo, average ping time was 36ms with a 25% packet loss, this is the first packet which is lost again.
Pinged Tom's Hardware, average ping time was 27ms with no packet loss.
Pinged Bing, average ping time was 35ms, no packet loss.

My ISP is Sky, they are pretty bad but it's up to my parents really.

chassmith

Honorable
May 14, 2013
i got yeah do a longer ping

ping bing.com -n 50
ping google.com -n 50
...etc

if you keep seeing packit drop out and or spikes in Ms then try another method of connecting the pc to the net.

OH OH OH ANNND ping 127.0.0.1 -n 50 if you have ANY drop it IS 100% the network card

G

Just done a long ping to Google. Got an average trip time of 56ms with a 6% packet loss. 2 losses were completely random, the other one was after my ping time went up to 500ms. Other than that, my ping times were 20-30ms.

And yeah, I did the 127.0.0.1 ping. It's always <1ms and I get no packet loss, I always do the same thing but with a different IP.

However, WiFi is the only feasable method of connecting for me. Phone tethering doesn't work, and Ethernet doesn't run upstairs. I have a feeling it's my NIC.