1gb .dmp file - what is this?

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Windows 10 Home
12gb RAM
64bit

I turned on my computer and after a few minutes ccleaner informed that I could clear a gb plus of space so I ran it and it deleted a one GB .dmp file.

C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\win32k.sys-20161031-2307.dmp
1,089,253 kb

Any idea what this is or how to find out?

I think it might be from the WIndows 10 update yesterday but I wanted to ask and make sure.

My computer is running fine but a temp file that huge looked suspicious.

Thank you!

Solution
your computer creates ongoing reports so that if you have problems, you can analyse the dump files to see what cause was.

clearly that is a report the kernel creates. You probably also have a memory.dump file but seems ccleaner clever enough to elave that alone as its used to decypher BSOD and deleting it would place ccleaner in the harmful software category. Hard to work out a BSOD without a dump file.

its not anything to worry about.

Colif

Win 11 Master
your computer creates ongoing reports so that if you have problems, you can analyse the dump files to see what cause was.

clearly that is a report the kernel creates. You probably also have a memory.dump file but seems ccleaner clever enough to elave that alone as its used to decypher BSOD and deleting it would place ccleaner in the harmful software category. Hard to work out a BSOD without a dump file.

its not anything to worry about.

Solution