Clone multiple smaller HDD's to one new Big HDD

sloeri

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Hey all,

i have 4 smaller sized HDD's (ranging from 500gb to 3tb) that i want to replace with one big 8tb or 10tb HDD. (currently aiming for a 8Tb WD Black, or a 10tb Seagate Barracuda pro)
these smaller HDD's all have 2 partitions.
none of them are system drives. (System is on a 1tb nvme drive)

is any Clone software capable of making a clone from multi drives to one drive, leaving the "partitioning" intact. (so my E/D/F/G.... letters can remain intact)

thanks in advance for the advice !

Sylvvester

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Is there any need to keep partition size exactly the same? I would parition new HDD and copy data manually. After that you can disconnect old drives and reassign drive letters using disk management.

sloeri

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Partition sizes do not need to be exact the same. most likely i will re-arrange them.

misteriosly

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
You can always rearrange drive letters.
On the big HDD, create desired partitions, so you can fit your data from other HDD's.
Copy the data from wanted to desired partition.
Then if you don't want to use the smaller HDD's turn off PC and unplug them.
After that when you boot into windows, just rearrange drive letters.
In windows you can do this easily.
Example : http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/change-drive-letter-in-windows-10.html

As you have heard you can, should you choose, copy all the data from your four HDDs to your "supersized" disk presumably first creating whatever size partitions you desire on that destination disk.

However...

There's no reason, should you choose, why you could not utilize a disk-cloning program to accomplish the transfer of data. We perform this type of operation routinely with no particular problems (although I must say I haven't yet worked with a 10 TB destination drive!). As misteriosly has pointed out you will have the option of creating whatever drive letter assignments you desire for the destination partitions should that be necessary following the disk-cloning operation.

In any event it's "dealer's choice". Either way will accomplish your objective.