Which is these setups would be best for server storage (RAID and FS)?

tech3475

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I have a HP G1610t Gen8 Microserver which I use as a home server, currently I have it running vSphere and 5 HDDs, 3x individual and 2x RAID 1.

Now though I plan on migrating to Server 2016 Datacenter as the host OS but I'm wondering how to configure storage using 1 HDD for windows and the others for data.

The first issue is whether to stick with the B1210i RAID controller (which I believe to be 'fake RAID') or to change it to AHCI and rely on windows Storage Space.

The second is whether to use NTFS or ReFS.

In theory ReFS sounds nice because it would save me checking the disks periodically and by using software RAID I hope to make the HDDs more portable in case of a hardware failure and make it easier to test the disks for issues e.g. bad sectors.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of systems to be able to provide any feedback?

Honestly it depends on how important your data is.

If it is important but you need speed and the space isn't an issue i would RAID 10

If space is important but speed is not then RAID 5

If space is not important but extra redundancy is then RAID 6

But after looking up this RAID card it IS a real RAID but it has limitations.

Only does RAID 1,0,10 and only does 6 drives, and also only 2 of them can run at SATA 6Gbps and the rest will run at 3Gbps

As far as file system that is up to you. If you have the money I would maybe look into a different compatible RAID card.