Special Edition Steam Giveaway - Darkest Dungeon, Gone Home, and The Alan Wake Franchise

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
General Info on How To Enter

• ■ These giveaways now span 2 full weeks instead of 1. This means there's more time for you to enter!
    ■ There are now two ways to enter to win! Each person can only win once.

• 1. Enter the raffle via the gleam widget. All we ask for there is a name and a contact email. There will only ever be 1 copy of the game up for grabs with this method.

2. Take part in the discussion in this thread! A discussion prompt will be provided each time. Just answer the prompt to be eligible to win! Eligible participants will be randomly selected to receive a copy of the game.
[widget="https://gleam.io/v49XA/steam-giveaway-darkest-dungeon-gone-home-and-alan-wake", 600][/widget]

That's right folks! Another week, another Steam giveaway. I know I'm a little late this week so to make up for it I have 3 awesome games on hand to giveaway.

Up for grabs are three (3) copies of Darkest Dungeon, Gone Home, and the Alan Wake Franchise. As always, one will be awarded via the raffle (found above) and two will be given away to participants who answer the discussion prompt below.

And now, for the discussion prompt:

Halloween may be over, but that doesn't mean the scares have to. We want to know what was the scariest experience you've ever had in a video game? Please remember to keep your response respectful or it will be disqualified.

The Steam Giveaway will run until 6 p.m. EDT on Friday, November 11th. The game will be awarded to the winners as a Steam gift. A Steam account is required to receive the prize and play the game.

EvilFlash

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
The scariest experience? Easy, its Outlast. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when I first played it. I bought the game without reading a review or watching the gameplay. I'll admit when I opened the first door in the game and the corpse fell down, I screamed ;D. Really, though the detail in the game took my breath away and had me legit scared. There was no knowing what was lurking around the corner. I've replayed it several times and it still can give me shivers. Eagerly waiting for Outlast 2.
PS - This dude gave me nightmares xD
1085mdv.jpg

ZeroRequiem

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
My scariest experience in a videogame might sound silly cuz it didnt happen in these horror games, I don't find those scary at all cuz I know what to expect from these games and they don't scare me at all, they are just a game afterall.

What really scares me (in a funny way) is like running out of mana in League of Legends for example, when you are deep in enemy territory, and they find you, and they are chasing you down, trying to kill you. I'm screaming like a little girl when this kind of situation happens not just in League but in many games.

elGroco

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
The pagan and undead levels in Thief always freaked me out as they were so different from the regular thieving missions. Gotta say that the psychic monsters in the STALKER series were also pretty scary.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
My scariest experience in a video game is, and will always be the first zombie in Resident Evil. You first hear it from off screen, and you are forced to transition into the next screen to see it, and by that time it is approaching. As a kid, that terrified me enough to put the game down and not pick it back up for quite some time.

usata-bob

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
Playing Scary maze game 2, I thought that the sound was off but it wan't and I was in the middle of an ICT lesson. I jumped and so did the five people around me including the teacher

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

I can completely relate. I actually quit the game after that darn dog crashed through the window! Playing that game as a young lad, not even 10 years old at the time, was absolutely terrifying.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
Dead Space 1 for me. It was bad enough enemies played dead and ammo was sparse, but when I got stuck and I read the wikia, I found something that made me put the game down. Sometime in the future I would have to face a regenerating Necromorph that would chase me without pause. The dread of facing an immortal, tireless enemy made me put the game away.

Enrique_Melendez

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
My scariest experience in a video game when I was a kid playing on my Xbox 360, Halo 3 I think, and I remembered being so freaked out by the music and the Covenant. For me, it was so creepy, that I never even finished the campaign of Halo 3 to this day.

kireato

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
I don't like scary games, or more precisely, being jump scared. I have sealed away any memories of such happenings from my childhood.

However, recently, a colleague was showing off his samsung gear vr and of course I had to try it. So there was a roller coaster vr experience, which was cool enough, but without the feeling that you get in your guts when speeding along and moving up and down and upside down on a roller coaster it felt a bit underwhelming.

Then there was of course a scary room vr experience. And I was: "No problem, I'm not getting scared, I know it's a game!"
Which did work for most of the experience, where I was frantically looking around me, to see all the creepy stuff happening. I'm doing pretty good and not getting scared. But then, there's this breathing sound, and I'm looking to my right and to my back and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Then I look to my left and of course, there was a creepy doll there, looking back.

I jumped back and let out a small yelp.

Shinji10TH

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Since I don't play horror games that much, my scariest experience usually involves dying without having saved recently and losing a lot of progress.

Questcraft

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Maybe not the "scariest" per se, but definitely the most suspenseful I have felt in a game for a long time was just this past weekend. I was playing Arma 3 Battle Royale and it was down to the last 4, the circle had closed in on a 3 way road and the corner of a factory. I figured that everyone would just find a corner and camp so I went up against the factory wall hoping to see someone peak around it. After not seeing anyone, I crawled through a broken part of the fence and ran face to face with 1 of the other 3 players (not including myself). We sorta shared a moment..... before we ended up unloading our clips into each other's vest. I ended up falling and wasn't able to see if he ended up winning. Also one of the best moments I have had in a game.

Aug 11, 2015
Mine is from resistance 2 (on PS3). Basically, I'd played the first one with my dad and we had fun, then I played it again with my brother on a harder difficulty, and had more fun, so I was super stocked about the second one, even though they changed the gun carrying mechanics and no co-op. I was still a kid at the time 10 ish) and didn't have any problems with the first one, nor with the start of 2, but then came that forrest section where you meet the invisible chimera for the first time, and this was the first time I ever fought ANY invisible enemy in any game, so as you can immagine, I didn't notice the faint outline and could only hear the thumping of their feet. It was horrifying, I spent about 5 minutes running as fast as the game would let me, only to be skewered by one of those blighters. That scared the * out of me, and I didn't touch the game for years, until I got it out late last year, after many more experiences with invisible enemies and armed with the knowledge of what to look for, as well as a minigun I found in a corner of the map, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I remembered. Still though, those guys gave me nightmares for quite a while.

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Ravenholm from Half-Life 2. Lots of Poison Headcrab and dreaded Fast Zombies. It’s definitely a creepy level, i was scared by the fact that there were everywhere around slinging saw blades with the Gravity Gun

Aug 11, 2015

Oh my god, I remembar that submarine. When you first see it, I was like:"please not in there, please, please, PLEASE!" Then the captains body and all the blood, and me thinking:"What the *?!, Cannibals? Wolves?" but no, mother*ing zombies. Was really glad there was only one level there, and it that it was short.

For the most part, game (and scary movies for that matter) don't scare me much, or creep me out for that matter. I believe though that I have experienced a few moments of jumping in surprise. That was with a couple of the Silent Hill franchise games (i.e. the original for PS/PS1 and and Homecoming) and the PS4 exclusive, Until Dawn. Of course with Until Dawn, once you experienced it once, the scare factor goes down on replays.

EDIT: Then again F.E.A.R had some definite surprise and creepy moments too, especially as you were figuring things out with the cut-scenes and experiences while progressing.

english34567

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
So let me tell you my scary story. My cousin brought PS3 so we could play Alien Isolation. I connected it to my gaming monitor and stereo with large speakers. There we were, finally playing it. We were hiding in a small cabinet while Xenomorph relentlessly searched for us. Sitting there in silence, palms sweating, prepping for the inevitable, when suddenly, it decided to sprint past us and jump into the ceiling ventilation. As the sound blasted through the speakers, controller flew to the floor, we screamed and immediately pressed pause. Completely speachless, hearts beating, pale as snow. Lesson learned: never again will I play scary games with stereo speakers that has bass and treble enabled :D

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
when I was first starting on disability, it was shortly after my ex left me, so I lived alone. I have always been a night owl and a gamer. I used to play FEAR at night, in the dark, home alone. Pretty well had perma-goosebumps the whole time playing. Loved it.

I also have a love/hate feeling for heights. I'm not afraid of heights, but I easily get vertigo and an adrenalin rush from it instantly. I get immersed in games so much that anything that involves walking along an edge triggers that response in me.