LastPass Becomes Free On Mobile, Eliminates Last Excuse For Not Using A Password Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennysmoothx

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I personally use 1Password, it's about $2 a month, and I honestly couldn't go back.

Took me a while to switch to a password manager but I'm really glad I did, lets me login to sites quicker than before yet with unique long password.

owens

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
This was great news until I went back and re-installed the app on my phone thinking it will now be free to use...

Nope!

You still have to get a premium subscription to SYNC your passwords between desktop and mobile devices if you have an existing account.
What this article fails to mention is you can now use the mobile app for free, BUT you have to get a new account, and your passwords will only be synced to mobile devices. Your passwords stored via the mobile app won't sync to the PC version.

More explanation here:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/lastpass-is-now-free-on-phones-but-theres-a-catch/

The main problem for password managers is they are too difficult to use. For the average user.

Some websites won't auto fill and you have to manually tell the manager to fill the login. Even worse is when you have to find the password then copy and paste or even manually input.

As for remembering passwords. Sometimes they won't recognize you created a new login and have to input it manually. It will save the wrong info or not update a changed password.

Another issue is password rules. I can see there being different minimums. All websites should allow letters, numbers, uppercase, lowercase, all special characters and no maximum. That way you can easily auto generate secure passwords.

Until they can make at least the detection, auto fill, save and updating consistent. People will shy away from password managers.

Many techies don't understand how the average user uses a computer. When they do something they don't understand what they did to accomplish a task. They just memorized a procedure. Even a slight change causes them a lot of problems.

randomizer

Champion

So basically if you want to use it on the desktop and your mobile devices nothing has changed.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
I agree with velocity. Most banks do not allow auto fill and right click is universally disabled on financial sites (though they do allow ctrl+V in some situations). with separate password rules for each site + manual entry of passwords with time out when redirected from merchant sites, password managers don't make sense.

Yuri_6

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
After years of using lastpass- I did the unthinkable and managed to botch up a master password change. None of the techniques for recovery worked either so I was forced to start over.

Thing was, I am a chrome user and noticed chromes Google Smart Lock technology was offering to save nearly every password lastpass was. In the back of my head I was always thinking- this is free across all platforms that chrome is on, maybe I should just standardize on this- I certainly trust google's infrastructure more than lastpass.

So... I've now been using chromes Smart Lock for several months now and couldn't be happier. Works every bit as well as lastpass premium, syncs across all my devices and is free.

kspearrin

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
If you're looking for a truly free, open source alternative, check out https://bitwarden.com. I switched from lastpass and haven't looked back.

WhiteCake

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
There's also Encryptr. It's free, syncs across all devices.
I'm hoping they implement 2FA with yubikey in the future

hjfsdhg4g

Honorable
Nov 4, 2016
More explanation here:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/lastpass-is-now-free-on-phones-but-theres-a-catch/

No this is how it was before but a few days ago they made it truly free which is what this whole news post is about.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2016/11/get-lastpass-everywhere-multi-device-access-is-now-free.html/

Status
Not open for further replies.