Can't search using the start menu or the search box

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
So i installed Windows 10 Pro OEM yesterday and everything was going fine, but then cortana kept popping up, and i thought about deleting it. So i used this guide. But after that i couldn't use the search function, so i reset my PC to factory new setting (without cortana), but i still can't use the search option. I have tried this guide (Both methods), but it didn't help me at all. So does anyone know a fix?

Solution
Cortana is tied into the search function of Windows 10, without it search won't work.
Just skip over the part about Cortana, during the windows installation, and don't set it up.
The search function is part of Cortana, so you either disable Cortana and search along with it or you leave both running. If you want to disable Cortana altogether, you could use another search program such as Everything that finds files instantly.. but it only searches your hard disk, Cortana searches computer and tthe internet.

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

So should i reset my PC, and turn on Cortana. Because i have reset my PC and didn't turn it Cortana on, and didn't really help.

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

So should i reset my PC, and turn on Cortana. Because i have reset my PC and didn't turn it Cortana on, and didn't really help.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
You don't have to turn Cortana on, it should run silently in the background.
Just don't forcefully remove Cortana from the PC and it should be fine.
I've always skipped over the Cortana setup during windows installation and I've never been bothered by it with popups.

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Problem is, i reset my PC and didn't choose to turn her on. But my search function still doesn't work

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Nope, it doesn't. i used this guide to remove Cortana, but after reseting my PC, i would guess it should return it back to it's original state. Which it didn't

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Already tried this, i guess i will just reinstall Windows 10 Pro OEM on my PC. Is it possible using the same key (Same Motherboard)?

Jun 4, 2016
Open command prompt admin by right clicking on the start button. PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted. then click enter.

Below enter: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} and hit enter.

Once finished it solved my problem.

Janfactor

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

I already fixed this problem by reinstalling Windows. I had already tried the method you show here, and it didn't seem to help. bt i appreciate the answer