Solved

Can I use my current Windows 10 installation to create a boot drive on a different PC?

Hi, I'm building a PC for the first time, and I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

I currently have a laptop that I upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10 and I'm wondering if I can somehow take that installation and put it onto my new SSD for my custom PC that I am going to build. I have a Windows 8.1 disk and product key as well, if I can't take the installation over, can I use the 8.1 key to install Windows 10 anyway? Or will I have to just buy Windows 10 and install it that way?
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about current windows installation create boot drive
  1. Best answer
    You can't take the Windows 10 installation as the license is for the laptop only. You also can't use the Windows 8.1 installation media as the product key was converted to a Windows 10 product key when you performed the upgrade.

In other words, you need to buy another copy of Windows 10. If you get a retail version, then you'll be free to uninstall and reinstall it however many times you like.
  2. Exactly what bicycle_repair_man said. What you suggested would be strictly against Microsoft's license agreement and hence against the law.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Boot Windows 8