Computer boots, runs past the bios, then shuts down.

odMike

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I'm having issues with my PC. I was sitting in my community's VOIP browsing the internet for Skyrim SE mods and all the sudden my PC just crashed. No blue screen or anything. I turned it back on and it just started up, got past the BIOS and then shuts back down. Unplugged/plugged everything and tried it again and same results. Very seldomly it gets past the BIOS and get's to a Win10 screen saying repairing installation, once it gets there it shuts down before any options get selected. I tried to boot it in safe mode, and it shuts down even before I can select safe mode.

I put in the system restore disc and manage to get it into boot options and whenever I try to select the disc or even a different HDD with a windows install in it, it still shuts down.

Anyone know what could be causing it?

Solution
there is a very good chance the shutdowns are due to the pump failing in the h110i. pump failure happens fairly often with this model because it is so popular. i doubt this is a psu issue. with psu, it usually goes, it turns on or it doesnt at all.

take the back cover off your machine and expose the rear of the motherboard. run the machine until it shuts off. immediately after, touch behind the motherboard where the cpu socket is. if it is too hot to hold your finger on, your pump failed and your machine is turning off from overheating.

alternately

you could disconnect all fans and hard drives in your machine, but leave the pump powered on. i'm not familiar with the h110i physically, so if you can't separate the pump's power...

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
You didn't post your computer spec. Anyway.

Unplug your HDD, optical drive, use intergraded graphics if you have.Use only one stick of RAM.
Now start your pc. Let it open for some minutes.If it doesn't shutdown, start adding devices one by one.

If it shutdowns, start by replacing the PSU(can you borrow one from somewhere for some hours? ).

If it still shutdowns with new PSU, then what you must look at is the cpu cooler,actual cpu and motherboard.

Try these tests and if we reach this stage we will discuss it further.

odMike

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Alright, so it's most likely the PSU? I've tried those steps already on my own, and it still shuts down. Some of my friends suggested the same thing and just replace the PSU and if that doesn't fix it just start replacing parts that could be broken.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
if it shut downs with a new PSU and only motherboard,cpu and 1 ram stick plugged then that narrows your problem to 3 parts, 4 including the cpu cooler, although i doubt it is overheating issue if the fan is spinning. Most propably in those cases it is the motherboard itself. But you won't have the parts to do the tests, so best bet is to go to a local computer shop and have your pc examined.

odMike

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Alright. I'll definitely try the new PSU tomorrow. I'm running a 980Ti and a AMD Fx-9590 w/ a Corsair H110i cooler. I have an Azza 1000w in it now, should I stick to the 1000w or do you think I could get by the a lower wattage PSU?

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
1000 is overkill, a good quality 750w should be more than enough. Btw do you plan on buying a new one? Because it will be a waste of money if your last one is okay and you have another problem. I would suggest to use a local computer shop you trust that they can use their own parts first, in can cost you less if it is not the psu, a bit more if it is :p Your pick.

odMike

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't really a local shop. I just decided I'd go buy one a chain store and if that's not the issue say I bought the wrong one and get a refund lol

there is a very good chance the shutdowns are due to the pump failing in the h110i. pump failure happens fairly often with this model because it is so popular. i doubt this is a psu issue. with psu, it usually goes, it turns on or it doesnt at all.

take the back cover off your machine and expose the rear of the motherboard. run the machine until it shuts off. immediately after, touch behind the motherboard where the cpu socket is. if it is too hot to hold your finger on, your pump failed and your machine is turning off from overheating.

alternately

you could disconnect all fans and hard drives in your machine, but leave the pump powered on. i'm not familiar with the h110i physically, so if you can't separate the pump's power from the fans, stop the fans with your fingers and listen. if the machine is silent and the pump doesnt make a sound, it has failed.

hope you caught this before you spent time on buying and replacing the psu. it is still a possibility, but that should be your second troubleshooting step as it is less likely and much more difficult.

Solution