FPS player should I get a 4K monitor or focus on 144hz or gsync?

backs1de

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
I'm a little confused on which route I should go with. My pc has decent specs (i5, 16gb ram, ssd) and I mostly play fps shooters (titanfall2 & battlefield 1) and Dota2.

I have a gtx 770 2gb and it's starting to show its age. I'm getting a 1060 6gb, what would I benefit from the most? I know playing at 144hz is a whole different monster but I don't see many 4K monitors that are 144hz and then there is GSync, do I need to even worry about the HZ of the monitor has gsync?

I would like to spend under $400 for a new monitor. Can I please get some insight and recommendations?

Help!

Solution
for FPS games, I'd focus on ULMB (ultra light motion blur) as you can just tune down settings a bit to reach your target frame rate (real fps gamers don't play shooters on ultra anyway)

GSync is a nice feature when your system struggles in general

with G-Sync you don't get a screen that's below 144Hz (or was it 120?) as this is in G-Syncs specs.

there are no144Hz 4k monitors to date

however with a 1060 you can't get a stable framerate @4k at all anyway.
you usually get ~70fps on ultra settings @1080p

with G-Sync enabled you still will feel when your screen refreshes only 60 times per second instead of 144 times but the negative effects like real lagging or tearing are nullified.

as for your budget, I'd go with an AOC g2460Pg (=...
for FPS games, I'd focus on ULMB (ultra light motion blur) as you can just tune down settings a bit to reach your target frame rate (real fps gamers don't play shooters on ultra anyway)

GSync is a nice feature when your system struggles in general

with G-Sync you don't get a screen that's below 144Hz (or was it 120?) as this is in G-Syncs specs.

there are no144Hz 4k monitors to date

however with a 1060 you can't get a stable framerate @4k at all anyway.
you usually get ~70fps on ultra settings @1080p

with G-Sync enabled you still will feel when your screen refreshes only 60 times per second instead of 144 times but the negative effects like real lagging or tearing are nullified.

as for your budget, I'd go with an AOC g2460Pg (= Acer Predator XB241Hbmipr / ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q -- all these three use the same hardware under a different brand if I'm not mistaken, the AOC is usually the cheapest)

Solution

*stable 60fps on max settings
but yeah a 1080 is more or less the minimum requirement for a 4k screen.
for 1080p 144Hz I'd go for a 1070 as well tbh.

genthug

Honorable
True ^ but, if you're looking at 4k, why go for medium? :p Maybe that's just a personal thought, but if I was going to drop potentially 1/2-3/4 of a grand on a monitor I wouldn't want to play on medium. It would of course still look fantastic, and maybe that's just a personal thought. :D

well you usually change GPU way more often than your display.
but generally, yeah