Getting Side-by-side error after auto update

CPUGuy123

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Auto update did it's thing a couple weeks ago and next thing I know I can't run google Chrome (my default browser). I then come to find that all my programs that have a shortcut linked to my desktop is getting the same side by side error (which are the only programs I use). Only really use the computer for browsing, email, and printing/scanning. If it is not a shortcut on my desktop I can run it. Additionally, I have folder shortcuts, which I can open, but if the program is a shortcut on the desktop it goes to error.

I can't uninstall these programs either, I've tried but when I click the button nothing happens.

After losing patience I tried a system restore (1st one) and it got stuck on the black screen with the circle twirling. After this it wouldn't boot up past that point and I could not get it to strat in safe mode, but I could access the bios and ran a troubleshoot/system check with no errors. I tried another system restore to a further past point and it restored successfully but I still have the side by side error. So now I am back to square one.

The computer is a Dell XP8700, bought it from Costco new a couple years ago and never had any problems other then un-expected crashes (blue screen) a handful of times. Originally had windows 8 or 8.1 and have since upgraded to 10 when it originally came out.

I am by no means a computer diagnostic person so bare with me. Below is the exact error message I'm getting:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

When I run the sxstrace a window pops up and closes in about a mili-second, just looks like a flash.

Help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
This issue might occur if the machine is missing the correct Visual C++ runtime components for your type of system(x86 or x64).
Try the below methods and check if it works.
Method 1:
I suggest you to install the latest version of Microsoft visual C++ packages.
Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package (x86 or x64) from the below link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
If the issue still persists, try below method.

right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
even if it finds nothing wrong, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

DISM cleans the files SFC uses to clean windows, so if SFC originally found any errors, re run it after DISM and restart PC

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/the-application-has-failed-to-start-because-its/69f40272-e0e5-4513-bba4-4cb9f2df33d1

CPUGuy123

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Thank you for the response. Unfortunatly when I download the C++ stuff and try to run the download it gives me the side by side error.

When I run the command prompt is states the following:

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Another servicing or repair operation is currently running.
Wait for this to finish and run sfc again.

C:Windows\system32>

I have restarted the computer twice and went straight to the command prompt without opening anything else and it keeps saying this. Need help!

CPUGuy123

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Did the clean boot and ran the scans and everything works now!

Thank you soooooooo much.

I guess my follow up question is what does the scan do and how did this happen in the first place?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) cleans and manages the image, the file windows uses to install itself. If you ran a reset, the computer would use the image to reinstall win 10. SO cleaning it means your next install won't have the same problems.
System File Checker (SFC) uses the image cleaned by DISM to fix the current windows 10 install

Versions of windows prior to Win 8 didn't have dism so if SFC got corrupted files it couldn't fix, it is harder to fix in general.