Need Help Understanding 2k vs 4k PC Monitors & Whats Requried To Run Them

mlussardi9614

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Hello, Thanks in advance for your time to help me better understand PC gaming monitors.
There is a lot that I don't really understand, I guess my 1st question should be can my current rig support an upgraded monitor? This is what I'm currently working with: (IF NEEDED I’M WILL TO UPGRADE MY RIG TO RUN 2K/4K WOULD JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS NEEDING THE UPGRADE)

• Monitor: ASUS VX248H Gaming Monitor - 24" FHD (1920x1080),1ms, Flicker Free
• Windows Version: Win 7 Pro
• Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K (Currently Clocked @ 4.4GHz)
• CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
• GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC GAMING ACX 2.0 (Currently Stock: Willing to Overclock)
• RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series DDR3 (2x4GB | 8GB 1866MHz)
• PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular

OK. Now that we have that out of the way. I’m hoping for some help with understanding what I should be looking for.

My next question is what exactly is 2k Is it better for gaming than 4k, or is it just easier/cheaper to build a rig to run 2k? (Is 2k Resolution (2560x1440) or Do I Have That Wrong?)
With a 2k or 4k monitor for gaming what should I be concerned about? Resolution,
Response Time, (What Is Considered an Acceptable Response Time for a Gaming PC?)
Refresh Rate, (In Your Option’s is 144Hz a Big Improvement Over 60Hz?)
Adaptive Sync Technology (Is G-Sync a Must Have with a 2k/4k Monitor?)

I’m sure I’m forgetting something so any other information you think I need to know about this subject would be great. Again I am very grateful for any and all replies.
Thank you for taking the time to read my topic.
Michael

Solution

In the least demanding games you should easily fill the 144fps need for the 144hz...
4K is not necessary for gaming and requires something real beefy to run well. A 1080 is considered the bare minimum for a 4K setup, and runs 30 FPS on high at best I believe.

144Hz allows you to more comfortably reach high FPS - good for games that require tracking and aim, a game like overwatch for instance, feels MUCH easier sniping with 144Hz because movements are half as choppy / unexpected.

Unless you're looking for insane money spent on upgrades I recommend against it.

Just some stuff I'd through out there based on what I know.

The difference is what each resolution as far as gaming is what each requires. Basically for most games one video card isn't enough for 4K. Now 2K the 970 is good enough until you get into the 120 to 144hz. You'll need a 1070 or 1080 for 1440p 144hz.

mlussardi9614

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Thanks for the reply I'm not so much worried about the money part. I mean don't get me wrong I'm not going to build an entirely new PC but I'm willing to throw some money into it I want to run and be able to run well on at least a 2k monitor. I understand that might take upgrading some components like GPU or Whatever but I don't know exactly what I would need to upgrade. The rig I described above was the first PC I built and I had help picking out the parts I'm still kinda new to the PC gaming.

mlussardi9614

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Ok so it sounds like 4k is just not worth it at the time, as far as 2k 1440p @144hz you believe upgrading the GPU to at least a 1070 would do it. I was planning on getting a new Gpu soon anyways what about my Cpu Could it Handle a 1070 or 1080? What type of frame rates and settings are we talking about being able to reach in the latest demanding games, with a 1070 / 1080 using a 1440p @144hz

In the least demanding games you should easily fill the 144fps need for the 144hz. In more demanding games you may dip into the 80's.
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Battlefield-4-2560x1440.png

Some of the newest games should be about the same at max settings.
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-2560x1440.png

Solution