Laptop crashes during windows 10 upgrade, wont boot afterwards

electricflex

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
I have a y410p Lenovo laptop with all the standard specifications from that.

So I decided to upgrade my PC from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and after downloading an installing, the installer told me windows would restart a few times to finish the update. After the first restart my laptop goes to the Lenovo screen it shows before booting, and then sits there forever. If I try rebooting from there I can get to the recovery options, but from there all I can do is recover with a recovery drive. I tried booting in safe mode but it just sits at the Logo screen again.

I recovered once, reverting me to windows 8, then tried again with a fresh windows 10 download, after downloading all the windows 8 updates to make sure everything was up to date. Same problem. I'm doing a full recovery for the second time now and am losing my mind.

I've tried unplugging all my usb ports while restarting, run a chkdsc with no problems, sfc scannow which doesnt work at all after verifying, and just can't find anyone with these problems. At this point I think microsoft just hates me.

Solution

Hello, electricflex:

I'm sorry not to have mentioned this, but if you change the boot order in the BIOS menu to USB First, the PC will search for the USB next time it boots up. That's probably what's happening at the 30% mark, when it restarts.

One way out would be to identify the specific key for Temporary Boot Order, usually F10 or F12. Reset the boot order to HDD First in the BIOS, insert the USB and hit the...

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings, electricflex:

I've had similar issues with my Lenovo Y50, and in my case I needed to remove the USB stick the exact moment the laptop goes black to restart.

So, let's try one more time:

a) Insert the USB stick and start the laptop. This should activate the setup.exe from the USB and give you the Windows Setup screen. If it doesn't, you may have to recover back to Windows 8.1 (as you've already tried) and then go to the BIOS to set a new boot order (USB first). You don't need to download every single Win8.1 update as most of the factory apps and settings will disappear once Win10 has installed. At least they did on my Y50.

b) Follow the steps in Windows Setup, as you've done before, and stay alert when Setup says it needs to restart (automatically) and shows you a countdown progress bar. Remove the USB stick the moment the countdown bar reaches zero. I assume your Lenovo uses an SSD, which means you won't have any time to react once the screen goes black. If you're late, the laptop will restart and load the setup.exe from the USB again creating a boot loop. So keep your eyes on the countdown bar!

Just to be on the safe side, remove any peripherals - apart from keyboard/mouse - such as an external HDD, a second monitor and perhaps even an external audio system. The whole setup process shouldn't be more than a half hour, but you need to stay with the laptop the whole time. After the first restart, you can leave the laptop until it reaches the log-on screen.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

electricflex

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
I'm doing this installation from a downloaded version of windows 10, not from a USB stick, so there's nothing to remove as it begins restarting. I also don't have the SSD in, and have tried all this without anything plugged into the USB slots.

I recorded it crashing during the update, it's at the "waiting for updates" screen after the initial restart, and it always crashes at 30%. The screen goes black and then the Lenovo logo pops up, and that's where it stays.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, electricflex:

I must admit I'm a bit baffled:

a) Normally you need to mount the downloaded ISO file onto a USB or burn it to a DVD, both of which will then act as a bootable device.
b) You say you haven't plugged in your SSD; may I ask where you are planning to install the upgrade? Where is Win8.1 located?

Maybe I'm overcomplicating the issue - it could turn out to be fairly straightforward.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

electricflex

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
My Lenovo has a HDD, sorry, I assumed you were talking about the SSD card that came with the computer. For the windows 10 upgrade I just downloaded it from microsoft's store and ran it. I have just now downloaded the ISO onto a usb and changed the bios to boot from the USB, and am trying the upgrade again now.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, electricflex:

OK, I'm less baffled now... :lol:

The HDD should give you a couple of seconds to react, but you still need to be quick. BTW, that would be SD card... I was thinking of a Solid State Drive.

One last thing: If you run into problems during the Windows Setup process, such as Setup not recognizing your HDD because of GPT/MBR issues, you can click Delete for the relevant drive from within Setup and then click Format. This will usually allow you to continue.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

electricflex

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Afaik the SD card was an ssd, but that could just be gibberish on my part lol. So my current problem is even after changing the bios to boot from USB, it just boots normally and I have to run the setup myself.

The point I get stuck at is during the getting updates screen at 30%, after installation and the first reboot.

edit: boot order won't save, reverts to default hdd

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, electricflex:

I'm sorry not to have mentioned this, but if you change the boot order in the BIOS menu to USB First, the PC will search for the USB next time it boots up. That's probably what's happening at the 30% mark, when it restarts.

One way out would be to identify the specific key for Temporary Boot Order, usually F10 or F12. Reset the boot order to HDD First in the BIOS, insert the USB and hit the relevant F key to select a temporary boot order. Select USB and remember to remove it once Setup has finished. Now your laptop will boot from the HDD next time it restarts.

Hope it works,
GreyCatz.

Solution

electricflex

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Ok, so in the recovery screen I chose the option to use a USB, then choose my USB with the ISO on it, and it just ran the setup and finally worked. Not sure why I had to do that and it couldn't just save the BIOS setting to boot from USB first but at least everything is working well now. Upgrade to windows 10 only took 3 days.

Thanks for the help GreyCatz, you got me looking in places I may not have looked!

Skate2016

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, Skate:

If you're using a bootable USB, make sure to remove it the moment the count-down bar in Windows Setup reaches zero.