Choppy video with Dell S2417DG and GTX 1070 with high refresh rate

blacktrance

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
Until recently, I had a 1080p 60hz monitor and a GTX 770, and I had no problem with videos. I've recently upgraded to QHD 144hz and a 1070, and I'm happy with it, apart from this issue. When I play a video, there's some kind of rendering issue when there are several frames with small changes in between them (e.g. the camera slowly panning down) that feels like a drop in framerate, though the video player doesn't detect any actual drops. If it's a software issue, it's probably not the video player itself, because I've tested it in VLC and Media Player Classic and got the same issue.

I've found a stopgap solution of reducing my refresh rate to 24hz in Nvidia Control Panel - then the video is as smooth as it was with my old setup. But it's bothersome to have to change it every time I want to watch a 24hz video, and I didn't have to do it with my old monitor. (Edit: While changing the refresh rate helps, it's not completely smooth like it used to be.)

I've tried turning off g-sync or changing my resolution to 1920x1080 (the video's resolution) and it made no difference. Only changing my monitor's refresh rate helped.
I'm connected via DisplayPort, if that's relevant.

Solution
You could try changing your refresh rate to 120hz. That's evenly divisible by both 24 (film standard) and 30 (NA tv standard). You'd still have it with PAL content though, which is 25 fps.