Help with Dell Precision 7000 options

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm planning on getting a Dell precision 7000 series here in a few. I'm not a gamer, but any graphics/entertainment capabilities are a bonus. My main concerns are security and performance. I will use it for all things professional, running virtual machines, linux terminals, python IDE, microsoft office, some audio editing/sequencing/encoding, and plain ole internet and netflix.

My issue is options appear and disappear on the dell site seemingly daily. Some are very unique and ones I have never seen and want to order the right config.

-An option appears when configuring the system that is called "Configuration Services." It's about BIOS. The message reads: "Are you or your IT staff overworked when rolling out multiple new systems. Receive systems ready for work out of the box. Prior to shipping we apply asset tags, configure BIOS settings, and configure OS settings, so you don't have to spend time configuring systems upon arrival."

Why wouldn't you want a system ready to work out of the box?

There are 2 options for BIOS that I don't understand:
"BIOS Wake-on-LAN Enable"
"BIOS TPM Security set to on/enabled"

I have a few security certs and even I don't understand this - why wouldn't you want the TPM set to on? Why would this be an option to pay extra for it? (at a weird cost of $6.51) The other one I don't understand either.

Thanks for your help.

G

Thanks so much - so in other words, if I have an Opal self-encrypting hard drive with the FIPS standard, the TPM will still be 'alive and well' ?

Trusted Platform Module (TPM) system, which can securely store keys, digital certificates, passwords,and data. A TPM system also helps enhance network security,protects digital identities, and ensures platform integrity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

Status
Not open for further replies.