i5-2320 - How potent is this CPU nowadays? Reason to upgrade ?

Sakuria

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello people.
First time poster in here. Long time reader.

I am currently thinking about upgrading my system, but I am mainly leaning towards upgrading my GPU since we it is fairly old, and was cheap. I am using the R7 260 OC as graphics card, and no complaints about it.
But I am thinking that the card is what is bottlenecking my system.
But now I am not so sure. I have done a lot of various comparisons on CPUboss to check how my CPU is ranked compared to the newer ones, and besides some new architectures and faster clock speeds, it seems like my CPU is still pretty solid from being a 2nd Gen i5.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular processor, and have some input wether it is worth to upgrade it or anything ?

I am not in the look for a beastly upgrade since my usage of the unit is going for gaming in decent quality.
I am not looking to go for 4k handling, or ultra settings in everything with 120 FPS.

The Graphics card I am thinking about exchanging my current one with is gonna be the RX 460,470,480 4GB since they are in affordable pricerange, and has pretty decent performance from what I have read, and seen people demonstrate with the cards.

By any chance some good suggestion for MainBoards ? I got no clue which one I got atm since it is a 30$ generic MB from Packard Bell, and that could also be the reason for some bottlenecking.

I am not new to the hardware scene, and know a fair deal, but right here I am not so strong with how you actually determine what is bottlenecking your system.

The games I am Mainly playing is :

World of Warcraft
League of Legends
Diablo III
Grim Dawn

Not overall heavy games, but I can feel some spikes once in a while where it freezes for up to 5 seconds. Not often, but from time to time, which is starting to annoy me a bit.

So specs so far is ':

i5-2320 @3Ghz
R7 260 OC @2GB
8GB RAM (Generic nonbrand) @1333Mhz
MB : Unknown (Hardware Info and CPUiD can't detect it)

Any advice would be appreciated, I would prefer no suggestions towards NVidia cards since they are not what I would call affordable for my needs.

It's slightly more powerful than my old i7-950. I really think it's your R7 260 that's causing the freezing, it's not a very powerful GPU, and I've seen many reports of freezing in WoW even on the faster 260x. I have a 7970 with my 950. Only freezing I get is in a couple games that seem to have freezing issues with older AMD GPUs (Doom 2016, Mirror's Edge Catalyst).

Now the good thing is, since that GPU should be within spec to play those games, it might just be the driver version you're using, or integrity of game files, which can be checked in Steam if that's how you got the games.