Dual monitor setup with onboard graphics through VGA and HDMI

CreatorStarx

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Hi,

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I'm curious if a dual monitor setup would work on an sort of old pc. The PC is only used for things like web browsing, and financing/stock markets. Nothing heavy or hard core. I'm wondering as the title says, if its possible to use an old monitor like a 1280x1024 Dell monitor through a vga to hdmi cord and plugging it in to the hdmi port.

Many thanks,
CreatorStar

Solution
Yes, they do "work". But they are slow as hell. Even youtube videos look choppy. I wouldn't recommend them at all. And they cost about the same as a cheap graphics card, so if you are able get one (like a 730 from nvidia) or something like that, go for it instead.

Just look for reviews on amazon or newegg and see how those USB adapters perform, they are usually unreliable and annoying.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
It depends on the computer's onboard graphics, but about 80% of the time, it's not possible. Some newer AMD and Intel onboard graphics do support multiple monitors, but the only way to tell for sure is to know the motherboard's model and what onboard video it has.

CreatorStarx

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Alright, so I'm going to assume it will not work. But I've been thinking about using a vga to usb adapter, any things I should know before I go ahead and do this?

Thanks,
CreatorStar

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Yes, they do "work". But they are slow as hell. Even youtube videos look choppy. I wouldn't recommend them at all. And they cost about the same as a cheap graphics card, so if you are able get one (like a 730 from nvidia) or something like that, go for it instead.

Just look for reviews on amazon or newegg and see how those USB adapters perform, they are usually unreliable and annoying.

Solution