Windows 10 64-bit Doesn't Run 32 Bit Applications?

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
TLDR: After upgrading mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM, 32 bit programs return application errors. None of the solutions online have worked so far. Need help figuring out which piece of hardware would cause this.

Hello everyone, I was hoping one of you could help me with this problem. I've been working on it all weekend with little success.

This past week I decided to upgrade my home-built PC with the works. I installed a new motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, 2 sticks of DDR4 RAM, and GPU (their specs will be at the bottom). The only thing remaining from before are the tower, HDD, and PSU. Initially, Windows booted as normal. I just needed to install the drivers for the new hardware. I played some games for around 1.5 hours before my background processes began crashing with messages like:

2_zpsnnxgxgxd.png

(The instruction at 0x*** referenced memory at 0x****. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.)
[The differences between them being the hex codes.]

I closed everything and reset my computer, but started receiving a mix between the above and the following:

1_zpsyxq532rb.png

(The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.)
[The hex codes ended in either 5 or 142.]

I looked this issue up online and tried the following:

1. SFC scan.
2. DISM restorehealth
3. Windows' memory tester.
4. Manually checking registries.
5. Safe mode testing (still didn't work.)
6. Reseating RAM in every possible combination.
7. Opening programs in compatibility modes.
8. Scanning with Microsoft Security Scanner.
9. Finally, doing a clean reset of my computer and reinstalling Windows 10.

The issue is still present. The only clue I've come away with is that 64 bit programs still work and 32 bit programs (those with compatibility options spanning past Vista) post one of the above errors. For instance, I can use pretty much every app that comes installed with Windows 10 64-bit, including Edge, but cannot use many of their downloaded tools.

I no longer think this is a software issue, but I do not know which of my new hardware is causing the issue. Could someone help me figure that out?

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard
RAM: 2 Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB SATA III
PSU: Sentey® Power Supply 725w

Solution
For hardware could you look if XMP is enabled and set to profile 1 in the uefi/bios so that the ram will work at rated specs.Don't think this will solve it,but is recommended anyway.

Not an answer i easily give,but as it seems is windows just recently installed,might want to consider another fresh install.Looking for what causes this probably will take alot longer.

The psu doesn't seem great quality,but if things run well should it give no problems.Next time when spending so much money on parts invest some in a better quality psu as well.:) I don't think it's the problem here,just saying what's on my mind. ;)

Colif

Win 11 Master
9 did you reset it or fresh install it? I would fresh install after changing so much hardware

If you haven't fresh installed it at all, do this before you do: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

if you just reset it cause you don't have a installer, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

There shouldn't be any hardware reason why it doesn't let you run 32bit programs on 64 bit win 10, there also shouldn't be any windows reason either as 32bit applications get their own folder on C drive. If you hadn't done a reset I would pointedly say the reason is likely to be drivers for the old hardware

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
Hi Colif, thanks for replying.

By clean reset I did mean a new install after formatting my HDD, so the previous drivers should be a non-issue. I thought the issue could be the outdated chipset drivers, but I am unable to run the disk installer due to it being 32 bit... Device Manager states my drivers are up to date, though a driver scanner I ran says otherwise.

I am not sure how I'll be able to install them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
go to Asus web site and install the chipset driver from there, don't use the ones of disc as they will be older. You may be able to install AI Suite 3 and use EZ Update to get latest drivers, I wouldn't update bios using it though.

I wouldn't trust driver scanners from 3rd parties as they can install the wrong drivers.

You probably don't need ccleaner on a brand new install anyway. Not yet anyway, and its got a 64bit version I think ¿
I know there is a Asus version of CPUz, I am running it on 64bit right now...

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
I did try loading the drivers from the website, but the installers are all 32-bit and crash when opened. Do you think uninstalling the current chipset drivers would work or would that just break the system?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you click the 64 bit drivers, this is the description of the Intel chipset, it could be the drivers are both 32bit and 64bit, it isn't very clear from that

Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.1.13 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit / 8.1 64bit / 10 64bit.(WHQL)

what drivers are showing in device manager/system devices under intel Z170 Chipset LPC controller? right click, choose properties, then look on driver tab

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
The version is 10.1.1.13. I knew it was out of date, but windows isn't allowing me to install the newer one. The Device Manager continues to say the drivers are up-to-date, even after rolling them back.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you sure you are on 64 bit windows? I can't find anything on running 32bit on 64bit but plenty of errors going the other way.

I asked for some advice on this but I think the election in US may have distracted attention currently and I hope someone will answer it soon.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Did you reinstall windows fresh? Did you at least reactivate it if not? Problems when trying in safe mode?

For hardware could you try without the dedicated gpu and with just one of the sticks of ram (switch them as well) and see how things run then.Try each thing one by one.

What model Sentey psu? Just curious.

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
I lost the key I had for Windows 7, so it is currently not activated. I did reinstall Windows fresh, even formatted the hard drive first to be sure.

I've attempted the RAM and GPU tests, but no dice. Scans also said there was no issue with them.

It's a XPP725-HS. At least I think that's the model.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You will need to contact Microsoft since you swapped your motherboard and CPU as well, that is main reason its unactivated now. Are you running build 1607 of Win 10?

right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter
If you on build 1607, go to settings/update & security/activation - there should be options here to contact Microsoft
if there isn't, right click this PC on desktop
choose properties
in next window, in bottom section is activation and it should have a telephone number you can call.

If you aren't on build 1607, go here and press upgrade now. This will download the upgrade assistant, run it and it will upgrade you to latest version of win 10

reason you need to have latest version is they won't talk to you if you don't.

That all is just to fix activation, doesn't really help with other bit.

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
Right, thanks for that.

So I managed to get a cheap motherboard that can work with DDR4 ram and my i7 processor and am now certain that's not the problem. The only thing I can think of that remains is the processor.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know you tested ram using windows memory checker but I would get a second opinion using http://www.memtest86.com/ as one cause of the error code you getting is ram. Memtest makes a bootable USB so no need for windows, you want 0 errors.

None of it points at CPU or motherboard, the only hardware mentioned is the ram alongside that error. Most of the solutions are software based. see here for other solutions: http://www.eassos.com/how-to/fix-error-code-0xc0000005.php

I've seen this before; it's a DLL problem. Can happen for a variety of reasons though.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/The-application-was-unable-to-start-correctly-0xc0000142.html

Try the second solution, the one that modifies the registry value. If the value was a 1, then I HIGHLY recommend you virus scan, as this value set to a 1 allows non-signed drivers to execute (not safe!) and likely indicates you got hit by a virus somehow.

brandin93

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
Memtest86 passed all of its tests twice. I'll see if I can find another stick of DDR4 RAM in the mean time. It just seems odd that both sticks I bought would be faulty like this.

I've already checked out the DLL issue; it was still set to 0 the whole time.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
For hardware could you look if XMP is enabled and set to profile 1 in the uefi/bios so that the ram will work at rated specs.Don't think this will solve it,but is recommended anyway.

Not an answer i easily give,but as it seems is windows just recently installed,might want to consider another fresh install.Looking for what causes this probably will take alot longer.

The psu doesn't seem great quality,but if things run well should it give no problems.Next time when spending so much money on parts invest some in a better quality psu as well.:) I don't think it's the problem here,just saying what's on my mind. ;)

Solution