Swapped out an ASUS X99 Deluxe II for an ASUS Rampage V Edition 10. Do I need to be worried about drivers?

esbowman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
So here's the deal. I'm building an Octane rendering workstation for Cinema 4D and After Effects. I plan to eventually have 3 GTX 1070s (or 1080s) in this machine...possibly 4. The X99 Deluxe II has 4 slots, but once I installed it, I realized that I made a newbie mistake and there's no way I can fit 3 or 4 cards on that board since the GPUs are so tall. 2 is the max. So, I swapped the motherboard out with the Rampage because it has perfect spacing and should allow for 3 or 4 taller GPUs.

Everything went smoothly with the swap. I had to re-license a few things including Windows 10 since there was a significant hardware change. I read that Windows 10 is smart enough to find new drivers for the hardware, and I took the chance. Everything seems to be working fine. Checked control panel, and there are no missing/unknown devices.

My question: Am I good? If the control panel reports no unknown devices does that mean I'm good to go, or should I be worried about the hardware using incorrect drivers?

Luminary

Admirable
"I read that Windows 10 is smart enough to find new drivers for the hardware, and I took the chance"

What you got were generic drivers, which means that the hardware will work but only using its most minimal feature-set.

If you want to have the full features available from your motherboard you'll need to download the proper drivers from your motherboard support site here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_Download/

Enter in your OS and take a look at what's available.

Summary: For the system to simply run the generic drivers from Windows are fine, for expanded features download the official drivers from the Asus website.

esbowman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012

Thanks for your advice. I did install all of the drivers per your suggestion from ASUS' site. Sorry for the late reply. Never received an email notification from the forum. Thanks again.