Best Gaming Monitor For Single GTX980?

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new gaming monitor and would love 4K and Nvidia G-Sync. I only ever use it for gaming with the occasional film and web browsing.

I had virtually chosen the Acer XB280HK when I noticed a review that said a single GTX980 wasn't powerful enough to run top-end games at 4K at more than 30 fps. Is this true? Should I forget about 4K since I can't afford to go buy another 980 and go SLI...

I also saw that that monitor doesn't have any audio and, until now, I've been using an LCD TV which offers perfectly good sound quality for me. To be honest, since I've been using an LCD TV for so long, I have no idea how you connect up the sound to a separate speaker system. Do you still just use the 3.5 mm headphone jack port like in the old days?

Does anyone know of a monitor that offers 4K (or highest resolution possible), G-Sync and audio? I can probably go up to £500..

Or am I expecting too much?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Nvidia GeForce GTX980
24 GB RAM

Solution
IMHO - 4k is still just a little bit out of reach for the kind of graphical horsepower that's required to drive it vs the upgrade in visual fidelity you actually get. I think 1440p hits the sweet spot between 1080 and 4k if you're looking to play at a higher resolution.

I dont know what your budget is, but I picked up the monitor in my sig on an open box special and I haven't looked back. 27", gsync, and at 1440 your 980 can still drive most games at high settings around 50fps (depending on the application of course) I know because that's the exact setup I had until I sprang for a second 980 when the used ones started showing up in droves and the prices bottomed out.

Good luck!

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
IMHO - 4k is still just a little bit out of reach for the kind of graphical horsepower that's required to drive it vs the upgrade in visual fidelity you actually get. I think 1440p hits the sweet spot between 1080 and 4k if you're looking to play at a higher resolution.

I dont know what your budget is, but I picked up the monitor in my sig on an open box special and I haven't looked back. 27", gsync, and at 1440 your 980 can still drive most games at high settings around 50fps (depending on the application of course) I know because that's the exact setup I had until I sprang for a second 980 when the used ones started showing up in droves and the prices bottomed out.

Good luck!

Solution

ssoussana

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Forget 4k and forget 1080. Stick with a good quality 1440p monitor. Unless you are going 40 inches and 4k, its almost worthless and you will notice no difference at 27" which is what most monitors are. Also your 980 isn't going to be very effective at 4k, but will run great at 1440p.

At 27" and 1440, you have quite a bit of monitors to choose from and if you can afford it, stick with IPS panel vs TN, they just look so much better, and its a huge jump from 1080 as far as image quality and number of pixels.

Barns

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks all for your advice.

I've gone with Jeffler's choice of the Acer Predator XB270H since it's for my Christmas/Birthday list and I think going over £500 might be pushing my luck!

However, it will be being bought in the UK and the UK Amazon listing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Monitors/Acer-Predator-XB270HAb-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync-Displayport/B00LX2J17W/

say it's only 1,920 x 1,080, which is 1080p I believe. Am I missing something or is that just the standard definition and it can be pushed higher?

I also presume that it doesn't have built-in speakers? If so, I'll add a speaker system to the list. Do PC speaker systems these days still use the 3.5mm headphone jack or is there a more modern connection method I just don't know about?