PS4 gaming - New monitor or new TV?

Gabriel_61

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Hi guys!

So I was curious, what gives a better SOLO experience for the PS4?

It will be a 4k monitor or TV (120hz right? (Budget is less than $1,000)

I hear that TVs don't even get below 20-something MS, is this pertinent for PS4 gaming?

The only reasons I would get a TV is for viewing from bed and "maybe" better quality than on a monitor?

However, my 1080p monitor is 1ms...

Help!

Solution
I game on a 55in 4k Samsung, 49in 4k Sceptre before this, and I've got my computer through it. My mantra is pretty much if you're not twitch gaming on it, you should be on a big tv over a monitor. TVs are cheaper in general for the size, you can get IPS which isn't going to be that fast anyhow and you get good enough specs. If you're competing as CS:GO or something like that where the extra fast refresh can be the difference between winning and losing, then go monitor. PS4 won't come near 120Hz, and right now there aren't many TVs that can do that (I think Samsung has a couple, but not sure), most 4k TVs are HDMI 2.0 right now which is only 60Hz, and the good news is that's as fast as HDMI 2.0 is gonna go, so next years TVs aren't...
I game on a 55in 4k Samsung, 49in 4k Sceptre before this, and I've got my computer through it. My mantra is pretty much if you're not twitch gaming on it, you should be on a big tv over a monitor. TVs are cheaper in general for the size, you can get IPS which isn't going to be that fast anyhow and you get good enough specs. If you're competing as CS:GO or something like that where the extra fast refresh can be the difference between winning and losing, then go monitor. PS4 won't come near 120Hz, and right now there aren't many TVs that can do that (I think Samsung has a couple, but not sure), most 4k TVs are HDMI 2.0 right now which is only 60Hz, and the good news is that's as fast as HDMI 2.0 is gonna go, so next years TVs aren't going to be HDMI 2.0 120Hz. From what I've gathered about the PS4 4k resolutions, it's gonna be 30 FPS and even then it's going to be half upscaled to be easier on the graphics processor. PS and XBox aren't designed to run on monitors, and while you can run it on a monitor, and it'll look great, unless you have a 27in TV right next to the 27in monitor, you're not going to notice a difference. Here's something to think about. there are, lets see, 1000 ms in a second, can you come anywhere near counting to 1000 in a second? How about 100? Is there a difference between 20 ms input time and say, 12 like some of the better monitors? Yes. But are you doing something that needs that 8 ms? The LG OLED TVs are like 1.3 ms input lag. I can't tell you there's a difference, but for the 500$ I paid for my nice Sammy new at Walmart, I could have gotten a 27in 2560X1440 144Hz monitor. I can't even imagine gaming on a 27in monitor from my 55in, but I'm playing Diablo and Fallout and stuff. And yes, I have my Playstation and XBox hooked up to my TV, and they look good, but I know the TV has upscaled them (PS3 XBox 360). Just be careful what you get if you're getting a TV to game on. I tried out a 60in Sharp, and while the picture was nice, the lag on it was unbearable. Bring your laptop to Walmart, and HDMI out to a TV and try it, then decide. Or Best Buy or whatever.

Solution
Oh ya, forgot to mention. When you see 4ms GtG on a monitor or TV, that's Grey to Grey, that's not input lag, that's how fast the pixels react to change, input lag is different, so no one go shouting to me how your 128$ monitor is 1ms input lag. It's not. That would be 1000 frames a second. The processor in your TV is nowhere near that fast. So much misinformation out there.

I would go with a TV. If a TV would allow you to be more comfortable while you game then it's the better choice. A 4k tv has 4 times the pixels then a 1080p display. with 4 to 1 pixels it tends to downscale nicely. Do you also have a gaming PC? Or is it just your ps4 hooked up to you "monitor"?

TRENDING THREADS