Intel 3770K / stock cooler / thermal paste / observations

rcgldr

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have an Intel DP67BG motherboard. Components just old enough to run Win XP, just new enough to run Win 10 (I multi-boot Win XP and Win 7 64 bit, did a trial run with Win 10 but didn't like it).

I upgraded to Intel 3770K using stock heat sink fan with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I wasn't sure about the 200 hour time tor the paste to become optimal, but over a week, I've noticed that fan speed to maintain temp under load has been decreasing.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro video rendering as my cpu load test, which uses about 85% to 90% of all 8 pseudo cores (hyper threading on 4 cores). One surprise is the near instant 20 °C increase when the rendering starts and the near instant 20 °C drop when the rendering completes.

Under load, the temp jumps to around 60 °C, slowly climbs to about 80 °C, then is held there by increasing fan speed. The first day of installation, fan speed ran up to 1400 rpm to hold 80 °C, now after about a week, fan speed hovers around 1278 to 1318 to hold 80 °C.

WildCard999

Titan
80C is pretty much the max safe-ish temp for that CPU although it is very hot (If it was unsafe the system would shut down). Optimal max temp should be mid 70's (C). What case do you have? If the case is large enough I would replace the CPU fan with the Cryorig H7 as it's currently $30 (if in US) and would cool that CPU much better then the stock Intel cooler. If your case is a ITX or small case then the Raijintek Pallas is a good low profile cooler for the cost.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html <<<Intel Temperature Guide by Computronix.

Ger Dumont

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I have a I5 3570K clocked @ 4.2.
Yours is a great cpu, but you should buy a better cooler, like a coolermaster hyper 412s. (which i have)
Or at least a Hyper 212.
It should reduce your temps a lot, and give you a lot of overclocking headroom.
80 degrees Celcius is not too much, but you shouldn't go much higher.
I probably could overclock mine further, but i like a quiet system, it's barely audible now.

rcgldr

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The 3770K is known to run hotter than most other processors. Idle speed for the fan is about 1000 rpm, and it doesn't being to spin up until temp reaches around 76 to 77 °C, where the fan ramps up to 1100 rpm, then at 80 °C, it averages around 1260 rpm (cycling between 1240, 1278, 1318) with temps cycling between 78 to 80 °C. Peak temp ever on the first day was 82 °C, with fan peaking at 1400 rpm.

"case" - I leave the sides off the case, so it's pretty much room temperature inside the case. I find that the overall noise is lower with the sides off the case since the video card (GeForce 780 Ti enthusiast) fans run slower. The case is Lian Li PC 7FNWX:

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-7fnwx

TRENDING THREADS