Monitor problems :/

pladimir_vutin

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Hey guys. Recently I upgraded my monitor from a square 1280x1020 to a glorious new 24" AOC M2470SWH @ 1920x1080 resolution, 60Hz, 5ms, and personally, good colors. When the monitor arrived, I saw a VGA and HDMI port on the monitor while my PC has mini HDMI and DVI. I had a spare DVI male to VGA female adapter, so using that and the VGA cable I was able to hook up the monitor. The monitor looked good on startup, however when I began playing Overwatch, I noticed some minor streaking when there is light in a dark area. Dark colors appear grainy when i move around. I purchased a HDMI to mini HDMI cable and yet, saw no improvement. I am coming here because I feel like i can fix this. I installed drivers via nVidia experience, and still saw no improvement. Is there any software I can install to patch this or is it a physical issue with the monitor? As stated previously, the monitor is clocked at 60Hz and 5ms, so unless that is incorrect, I cannot see how that would be the issue. One theory I have is that the grey-to-grey 5ms response time does not reflect white-to-black, but honestly I don't know too much about response time so that might make no sense.

I will include a list of important parts I am using.

GPU: nVidia GTX 750ti 2gb vram
CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.5-4.1 GHz
Monitor: AOC M2470SWH
PSU: EVGA 500b
Memory: 8gb crucial ballistix sport @1600 MHz

Solution
Hello.

This monitor has a VA panel. It is an entry level monitor, and this type of panel is known for having streaking in low light situations. 5ms is a lot for a monitor, and most old monitors are as fast or faster if it was a TN panel. I can personally see streaking even with a 1ms panel, but got used to it.
If the streaking is a deal breaker, I suggest getting another monitor. If it is a minor issue, the M2370SWH has excellent colors and purity usually, so it's okay for most work. But a quality gaming monitor is recommended if you want almost no streaking.

As for having light in a dark area, that is backlight bleeding. It is normal to an extent with low quality monitors.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

This monitor has a VA panel. It is an entry level monitor, and this type of panel is known for having streaking in low light situations. 5ms is a lot for a monitor, and most old monitors are as fast or faster if it was a TN panel. I can personally see streaking even with a 1ms panel, but got used to it.
If the streaking is a deal breaker, I suggest getting another monitor. If it is a minor issue, the M2370SWH has excellent colors and purity usually, so it's okay for most work. But a quality gaming monitor is recommended if you want almost no streaking.

As for having light in a dark area, that is backlight bleeding. It is normal to an extent with low quality monitors.

Solution

pladimir_vutin

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Well, that's depressing. Hopefully, microcenter has a good return policy because the streaking is quite annoying. Are there any monitors you can recommend to me? My necessities are: no more than 5ms response time, no less than 60Hz, at least 22 inch diagonal, HDMI port and not VA?

pladimir_vutin

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Wow, thanks! This one looks excellent.

pladimir_vutin

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Wow, thanks! This one looks excellent.

pladimir_vutin

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Update: I purchased the vx238h and I couldn't be happier. The monitor is perfect all-around and I saw a huge improvement from the last monitor.

TRENDING THREADS