Black Friday/Cyber Monday gaming monitor buy

PytSkee

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
So I'm looking into getting a nice gaming monitor to replace my sub-$200 unit after Thanksgiving in a sale. I'd definitely like to go above 1080p into widescreen/2k/4k resolutions, and I'm looking to spend $400-500. Advice and experience?

Solution
Look for either Freesync or G-sync monitors depending on your graphics card. I recently got a Freesync monitor with an RX 480, personally I won't go back to non-adaptive synced monitors ever again probably.

PytSkee

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Did you really see that much of a difference? I never really noticed a tear problem with my monitor, so I've not put a lot of thought into G-sync (I have GTX 970). Are you sure it's not the other features?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Not tearing, but fluidity is a big pro that comes with Freesync/G-sync monitors. Especially with high refresh rate monitors with loads of FPS fluctuation becomes a lot smoother with adaptive sync technology, as every frame is always synced with the monitor's refresh rate.

V-Sync does not only avoid tearing, it also makes your games look smoother.

Neur0nauT

Admirable
Same here. I'm hoping to go 1440p ultrawide. I have my sights on the new Samsung CF791 but I don't think it'll be released before Black Friday, and it's probably gonna cost more than $400-500 They are also doing 27" non-UW models of these monitors that use Quantum Dot tech.....The'll be more in the region of $400-500 hopefully....although I think they might only be 1080p.

So If I cannot get that, Then I'll probably set my sights on the HP Omen 32" Although its not ultrawide, it is 32" over 27" 1440p with 75hz freesync. I'm in the UK, so i'm not sure if I can get it shipped from the US without incurring high customs charge. I'll have to see.

Although I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of the LG 34UC88 They seem to be one of the good spec cheaper 34" 1440p Ultrawides with Freesync.

I check out This website for the latest updates on monitor tech

Some food for thought there. Did you have any ideas what you were gonna go for?

Neur0nauT

Admirable

It caps the framerate too don't forget. Thats a big no no if you have good capable hardware and want to push those pixels to the maximum! Adaptive sync is good because it compensates if you don't have the hardware to push the pixels.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Depends on the V-sync type. For example if you have a 144Hz Freesync panel with 60-144Hz Freesync range, it will cap your framerate to 144 fps, but make you stay in Freesync range. some games lock your fps to 60 with Freesync, or half your refresh rate, but not all games do that.

For Freesync, confirmed by AMD representatives, It's said that enabling both Freesync and Vsync in-game is the best method of getting the most out of Freesync.

TRENDING THREADS