How do I properly delete a linux install?

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
I'm running a dual boot of Linux and Windows. Windows is my primary OS and Linux is strictly for programming for school. I have Ubuntu installed, but I would like to use a different distro.
I figured deleting the partition for the Linux distro would effectively uninstall it, but that turns out not to be the case. I did so, and my system was unable to boot to windows after. Thankfully, I still had the Ubuntu boot flash drive so I was able to reinstall it and use the boot manager to boot back into windows. However, upon bootup, I now have 3 options to boot. One into Ubuntu, and 2 into Windows 10. Both of the Windows 10 boots bring me to my Windows desktop.
I created a restore point prior to installing Linux, but it failed to restore my system. Upon this, I created a clone of my hard drive on an external drive with the Linux distro installed before I tried deleting the partition.
My plan is to restore my system from that clone and then properly delete the Linux installation.
How do I go about doing this without messing up my boot manager?

Solution

Haven't installed pure Debian in a while, so I don't know how the setup of GRUB looks there. But (while in Linux) you can reinstall GRUB in the Linux partition, confirm that it works, and re-create Windows boot partition.
The problem is Linux kind of "takes control" of the boot order/manager when you install it, and is in charge of it, because it will play nice with Windows. Windows won't play nice with Linux if it's the boot manager though.

I think you have to remove Windows to get linux to be removed "properly."

Or just run Linux as a VM inside windows.

Since Linux never controls any PC system, Windows would never allow it, it is very easy to jump from one Linux distro to another. All you have to do is simply install any Linux distro over the other and it will wipe the old one off the drive and install the new one. I have done this hundreds of times and it works 100% of the time.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

That's what I'm looking to do, but I am unhappy with the current partition size and the fact that there are two Windows that I can boot into. If I delete the partition of the Linux distro in Windows, then I boot into rescue grub. I could boot into bios and reinstall the new distro I want, but I fear that this could worsen the boot manager.

Boot with Windows DVD, and "repair boot options" - this will repair the boot sector, and get rid of Linux' boot manager.
Another way to repair it is (once inside Windows) to run EasyBCD, there's an option to repair boot files.

Because of these (and I have the way GRUB looks), I never install it into MBR, always into Linux partition itself, and use EasyBCD to multi-boot.

I am so sorry but I do not fully understand the current state of your system. If it is possible, please post a screenshot of your disk management tool so that we can see all of your drives and the current partition configuration. Then somebody here will be able to more accurately assist you.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

http://imgur.com/a/QY03G
Here are my partitions. The 10.84Gb partition and 7.89Gb partition both contain linux files. When I was installing ubuntu, I wanted to create a single 20Gb partition. I don't know why it was split up into two partitions like this.
I would like to completely delete Ubuntu and follow this procedure: https://radixcode.com/dual-boot-windows-10-with-debian/
When I boot up my laptop, I am greeted with Grub. I have 4 options:
Boot into Ubuntu, boot configuring settings. Windows 10 loader (sda 1), and Windows 10 loader (sda 2). I do not understand why there are two Windows 10 loaders, and I do not want this.

So, my plan as of right now (waiting for a flashdrive to mail in) is to create a Windows recovery USB through the Windows Recovery Drive application, delete the two linux partitions, and use the command: bootrec.exe /fixmbr once in Windows Recovery. I am assuming this will completely delete the Linux distro and grub.
Once this is done, I will fresh install Debian following the process outlined in the link I posted above.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

How do you not install it into MBR? I'm very new to Linux, apologies.

It probably depends on the distro. On (k)Ubuntu flavor, install app asks (diring disk partitioning) where to install GRUB. Default is (eg) /dev/sda, change it to /dev/sdaX (Linux root partition). Next reboot will get you back into Windows, then install and configure EasyBCD for dual-boot.

Slurpee12

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

I'll be using the Debian distro. Would this be the same situation?

Haven't installed pure Debian in a while, so I don't know how the setup of GRUB looks there. But (while in Linux) you can reinstall GRUB in the Linux partition, confirm that it works, and re-create Windows boot partition.

Solution