USB devices not working after upgrading to Windows 10

vlcmdude

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Today I decided to do the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The installation seemed to go smoothly, but when I get to the Windows 10 welcome screen, my mouse and keyboard aren't responding. Trying different ports or different mice or keyboards does not help. Both devices work fine when I get into the BIOS.

After resetting a few times, Windows decided to revert back to 7. The first thing I see when I get to the Windows 7 desktop is an alert that my USB devices installed correctly. I try the upgrade once more and I run into the same issue.

I've found a bunch of people that ran into the same issue on various forums, but none of the solutions have worked for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What you would hope to do is install the USB drivers... but that's kinda tricky without a KB + Mouse!

What's your motherboard make + model?

Couple of ideas/suggestions
1) Most chipsets include a number of USB ports, these really should work out of the box with the Win10 upgrade. Some motherboards provide additional USB 2, 3, or 3.1 ports with 3rd party controllers and these often will NOT work with Win10 until drivers are installed.
So, make sure you've plugged your KB + Mouse into the standard USB ports provided by the chipset. They're usually the standard USB 2.0 ports, avoid blue ports or others with different colours or labels, as these may offer extra features that require controller drivers.

2) When you upgrade to Win10, does the PC have an active internet connection? If you usually use wireless via an alternative controller, is it possible to do the upgrade with a cable connected instead? If the installer detects an internet connection it will go online and attempt to find drivers for devices where it can. It's possible that it'll find and properly install your USB controller driver.

3) You don't happen to have a PS/2 port on your motherboard and an old PS/2 keyboard lying around do you? That might give you enough functionality to locate and install USB drivers.

vlcmdude

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks so much for your reply!

This is my motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155

I've tried every USB port multiple times. Nothing.

The computer was connected to the internet with a cable through the installation.

My motherboard does have a ps/2 port. No clue how I can get ahold of an old keyboard though. It sounds like this is my only option at this point. :(