Transferring HDD and SSD to a new Motherboard

Bluetech

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
If I remove the current HDD 1TB installed with win 7 home premium 64 bit upgraded to win 10 together with a 240GB SSD and installed them in another compatible motherboard with compatible ram will the win os run the same as in the old system??

Solution
Hey there, @Bluetech!

I'd definitely agree with @Ralston18! Even if you do have an identical model/brand motherboard, you will still need to re-install the OS itself onto the SSD. Keep in mind that clean install onto a primary drive requires you to disconnect the secondary HDD from the system, otherwise you might encounter an OS confusion which would cause further booting issues. I'd advise you to use the SSD for a primary storage (boot) as it would give you much better performance than the mechanical hard drive.
If the mobos are different, you might actually need a new genuine Windows install altogether or at least a new activation code. For more details on this, please refer to MS support on their official website. Here's a great...

Ralston18

Titan
Short answer: possibly but not without problems of some sort or the other.

Longer answer: there are many factors involved including the need to change and/or update device drivers and match settings again. And you must really be sure that the compatible motherboard is a really good match to the original motherboard.

There could be licensing problems depending on the original OS being tied to the original motherboard via EOM agreements etc.. Hopefully resolving that will be the least of the problems.

And probably best to make any such attempts in some order. Get the OS drive (current HDD 1 TB if I understand correctly) working first then introduce the 240 GB SSD.

But then, I would have the SSD be the boot drive if at all possible. Swapping it all around could be cumbersome.

Lots of online information about such upgrades and transitions. Do some reading, work out a plan, and then execute.

See if you can narrow down the process to maybe a specific question or two.

Be sure to backup up everything beforehand. Probably a good idea to purchase another SSD drive to serve as the host of the OS if at all viable.

Hey there, @Bluetech!

I'd definitely agree with @Ralston18! Even if you do have an identical model/brand motherboard, you will still need to re-install the OS itself onto the SSD. Keep in mind that clean install onto a primary drive requires you to disconnect the secondary HDD from the system, otherwise you might encounter an OS confusion which would cause further booting issues. I'd advise you to use the SSD for a primary storage (boot) as it would give you much better performance than the mechanical hard drive.
If the mobos are different, you might actually need a new genuine Windows install altogether or at least a new activation code. For more details on this, please refer to MS support on their official website. Here's a great tutorial regarding Windows Install & Optimization for SSDs & HDDs.

As it was already mentioned, backups are essential! Having duplicates of your files on an off-site (external) storage location is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss!

Let us know if you have more questions! Hope this helps you!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution