1440p monitor sometimes drops resolution to 1024x768 after restart.

Adam Ashworth

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
So like the title says, I have been having this problem all morning since I first plugged this new monitor in.

It's worth noting that this only happens when I plug into the displayport but it seems to work fine through HDMI.

Just plugging in through the HDMI isn't an option because my PC also powers my TV at the other side of the room which can only be connected via HDMI and the GTX 1080 only allows one HDMI connection.

Restarting seems to help sometimes, but unplugging from one displayport to another seems to be the most consistent way to resolve the problem in the short term but is not an ideal long term solution, and I'd like to avoid returning the monitor as it's a pain in the ass :D although I will if it turns out to be something I can't fix myself.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Hello.

If everything seems fine in HDMI, I suggest trying a DVI to HDMI adapter:
ex. amazon
XZsia8N.jpg

Unless your video card has no DVI, which is still rare. It's hard to know whether your issue lies with a bad displayport communication, or software issues. Have you tried another displayport cable? Or another displayport monitor?
If it fails on another monitor, it's your video card or software, if not it's your monitor. I suggest using a DVI-D to HDMI adapter then.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

If everything seems fine in HDMI, I suggest trying a DVI to HDMI adapter:
ex. amazon
XZsia8N.jpg

Unless your video card has no DVI, which is still rare. It's hard to know whether your issue lies with a bad displayport communication, or software issues. Have you tried another displayport cable? Or another displayport monitor?
If it fails on another monitor, it's your video card or software, if not it's your monitor. I suggest using a DVI-D to HDMI adapter then.

Solution

Adam Ashworth

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Yeh I thought of that as a solution but it's not exactly ideal, I just wonder why this is happening in the first place :/

To answer your questions though yes, I have tried a different cable and I've tried both ports on both the GPU and monitor, I seem to be doing alright for now but haven't rebooted since I posted this so the problem could show it's face again once I do reboot.

If I can't find a more 'elegant' solution then I'll use an adaptor, thanks for the help buddy.