Why is my brand new Dell laptop so slow?

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 laptop from my local Currys. I've loaded all the programs I need on it, and in total I am only using 111GB of the 1TB hard drive. The machine itself has a 1TB hard drive, 8GB of RAM, an Intel Pentium processor, and about 7 hours of battery life. So my question is, why is it still so slow? It takes about 15 minutes for the whole machine to load, and for the first hour or so of use it takes a while to do anything. Once it's got into the swing of things, it then begins to work better. I am unable to put an SSD in it yet because I know that will void the warranty. Is there anything I can do to make it work faster?

Solution
What other bloatware was installed from the factory? Usually, that is the case.
Multiple different AV, 'PC Health', or other scanner type things run on startup. Competing with each other, they bring the system to its knees before they are done.

And yes, I've seen it take an hour or more to finally settle down.

Remove all that crap, or a clean install, and it will feel like a whole new PC.

USAFRet

Titan
What other bloatware was installed from the factory? Usually, that is the case.
Multiple different AV, 'PC Health', or other scanner type things run on startup. Competing with each other, they bring the system to its knees before they are done.

And yes, I've seen it take an hour or more to finally settle down.

Remove all that crap, or a clean install, and it will feel like a whole new PC.

Solution

RR4Life

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

Hi there,

There isn't anything that is using 100% of anything at the moment. The problem did occur a few days after I bought the laptop, and since it's brand new I didn't think there would be anything wrong with it! It's a good laptop apart from the slow startup time.