Windows 10 BSOD while gaming / watching videos

TilLon

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hi everyone.

Recently I have been encountering a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

Ever since I changed my GPU to the Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB the PC has been freezing / making a weird noise and/or automatically restarting while I'm playing games or watching Youtube videos on full screen.

Since then, I have added RAM, changed my HDD to SSD, done a fresh install of Windows, checked that the drivers were up to date many times, changed the energy settings like so many guides suggest.

That last one seemed to fix the problem for a couple of days but now it's back.

The error I get is Kernel Power Event 41.

My setup is:

PSU : Coolermaster G550M 80+ Bronze 550 W
MoBo: Asus M4 A87TD/USB 3
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB
RAM: 4x4GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz
SSD: Kingston SSD Now 120 GB (That's the one where Windows are installed) ,OCZ SSD Trion 150 240GB

Has anybody actually solved this permanently? Is it possible I got a faulty GPU (I bought it brand new)?

Thanks in advance

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Kernel Power Event 41 is a dirty shutdown - an unexpected loss of power/restart.

In this case I would say take your GPU out and use your computer as you normally would, if the problem still happens then we need to investigate further, however if the issue does not re-occur when you take the GPU out, then you will need to RMA the GPU.

TilLon

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hi and thanks for answering.

I opened my PC to take out the GPU and it turns out I probably hadn't connected the 6-pin correctly, so instead of removing the GPU I just reconnected it.

Then I googled the bugcheck code I got from an error yesterday and somebody had the same problem. Turns out ESET Smart Security was outdated and crashing the PC. My Smart Security was also outdated, so I uninstalled it.

I'll see if there are any crashes in the next few days.
If there are, I'll remove the GPU and see if that's what causes it.

EDIT: Happened again, I'll switch to my old GPU and test it over the weekend.