Need some help an information on computer careers

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Hi i need some help i was thinking about doing something with computers for a career for a long time now. The one thing is i really really do not like programming AT ALL. I was wondering what else is out there because most of the majors seem to revolve around that or maybe just the schools in my area?
Things i enjoy with computers:
Putting them together/ replacing parts
Testing and figuring out what is wrong and fixing it
Installing/updating software
just using computers

Things i dont like;
Programming pretty much do not like anything about that

i know this sounds like a dumb question but i am kind of lost thanks for any input Also if it is an associates degree or certificate program that would be even better.

Solution

those things deskside or networking support do sound like more of my interest. i was going to take a program i think it was 12 months and it qualified you to take the comptia a+, networking+, and security+ certification test and gave you a voucher to take them. IS that something that would be helpful? Most colleges around me have only computer science which is 50% or more just programming.

t53186

Distinguished
Sounds like a good place to start would be whats called Deskside support or even Network support until you decide where you want to end up. Plenty of opportunities that do not require programming.

Education is considered almost necessary. Start with a two year program. Get the basics done, like a microsoft certification.

bigal80ak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

those things deskside or networking support do sound like more of my interest. i was going to take a program i think it was 12 months and it qualified you to take the comptia a+, networking+, and security+ certification test and gave you a voucher to take them. IS that something that would be helpful? Most colleges around me have only computer science which is 50% or more just programming.

Solution