1060 or 1070?

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Hello!
I'm looking to upgrade my computer, for now I'm just speaking in terms of graphics cards.
I currently have a GTX 750ti. Though I'm torn between upgrading to the 1060 or the 1070.
I'm not all that great with the more specific specification-lingo. Which would be more worth upgrading to in the long run?
Keep in mind that I won't be looking to upgrade for a long time, therefore I'm leaning more towards the 1070. I'm also not going to be doing VR, and budget is no issue, so feel free to eliminate that from discussion and keep it more specification-based.
Thank you for your time.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Not exactly the type of input I was asking for. Of course, the 1080 would be best, and yes, I did say budget was no issue. Note that I asked 1060 or 1070

What resolution are you running at? Because if it's only 1080p then get the 1060 and upgrade in a couple years. There's really no reason to spend almost 3x as much on a 1080 and 2x as much on a 1070 if you're not running 1440p+ when you'll be able to get a card faster than both for $250 in a couple years. Trying to buy components for longevity is not the right way to think IMO. What CPU are you running at the moment?

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I'm actually going to be upgrading everything except for my case. I'm still working on the part list. I have a bit of a rough draft from when I had a specific budget, http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nKZHRG
Though the entire list save for the peripherals and case are still up for change.

Now, I would say go for the 1060. Also with what chemmajorp53 said, if you're going to be gaming at 1080p then it's the perfect card. And 6500 would probably bottleneck the 1070 anyway so you 1060 is your best choice.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I'm currently using some old monitor from an HP a family member bought a few years back, it's 1680x1050, but I do intend to buy a new monitor a bit after I have the new computer built and working.
I'm more concerned with the parts, rather than my entire setup for the time being.
As for CPU, my current build is irrelevant as I'm going to be upgrading everything save for the case. I have a rough draft setup here [some of it is placeholders. If you have a recommendation for any other parts, feel free to enlighten me] http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nKZHRG

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

I see.
Though that does make me wonder, if the 6500 is likely to bottleneck a 1070, would you happen to have a recommendation for one that wouldn't? (Preferably a bit cost effective. My point still stands that I don't really have a budget, I'm just asking so I have a better idea of how long I'll have to work in order to afford everything)

The 6500 won't bottleneck it except in VERY cpu intensive games and maybe specifically 64 player Battlefield 1. Otherwise it's great and I would recommend it. If you're not editing or doing anything cpu intensive then you don't need an i7. Check this thread if you're wondering how CPUs stack up against each other.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3192807/ultimate-bottlenecking-guide.html

EDIT: For the RAM, 2133 is all that's "officially" supported but you'll be able to get more than that with an xmp profile. It's not that big of a deal really, so if you don't care then don't worry about it as it will have a very minor effect on your desktop and gaming experience.

These guys... I don't know. Are they thinking of the A8-6500?

Because the i5-6500 isn't going to have an issue with a 1070.

Looking at your rig... I don't trust MSI motherboards much, but it is a budget build; I'll just say that if you have inexplicable errors, look at the motherboard.

That keyboard isn't terrible, but there were cheaper options on the market. You could save about $50 if you can return it; if not, be happy that you have a good quality mechanical keyboard.

Now, let's get to the nitty-gritty.

With the monitor you have right now, even the 1060 is overkill. If you upgrade to a ~$130 1080p, 60Hz monitor, it'll still do just fine. However, since you're going to be saving up for a monitor anyways, I would suggest saving up for a 120Hz monitor. If you play any kind of competitive gaming, between a 120Hz monitor and a really good audio setup, you can feel like you're hacking.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Well, it WAS a budget build. I'm now able to comfortably not have to restrict myself too much.
I'm just looking for a good price, I'm not rich.

As for the motherboard, would you happen to have any recommendations, what sort of price would I be looking at?
I say this because I know multiple people with the very same motherboard who have never had any issues with it, so it would come down to price and whether or not it'd be worth it.

On the keyboard, I got it for 63 bucks, couldn't pass that up.

I'm not much for competitive gaming, but I do quite like the idea of a higher refresh rate than sixty, would you recommend anything in particular?

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
I do apologise if I'm making some silly mistakes in both part choices, and discussion. I also understand that I'm probably asking some silly stuff, and asking quite a bit in terms of recommendation.
I'm not the most knowledgeable on computers, I haven't really got the time to study up on everything to a level where I wouldn't need to ask for help so much.
Thank you all for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

That's actually one of the monitors I was looking at, so at least I was on the right track there, thank you.

That's a great deal for a good mechanical keyboard, nice find.

As for the monitor, BenQ and Asus are both pretty much impeccable, and Acer makes pretty good quality 120Hz+ monitors as well. I can say that once you've gotten used to it for a little while, you're going to be addicted; it makes 60hz feel like what 30fps does when you're used to a good computer. If you can afford a monitor with G-Sync, get it. It makes even the games you can't flat out max play as smooth as butter.

For the motherboard, I like the Asus H97M-E or PLUS, but if you already have the MSI, go ahead and stick with it.

@chemmajorp53, no need to get defensive, I wasn't trying to accuse anybody. I was simply trying to emphasize that there was absolutely zero need to worry about bottlenecking. I also absolutely agree with that monitor choice; it's slightly more expensive than the most budget options, but totally worth it.

Jbkillable, ask whatever comes to your mind. We're here to support you and hopefully teach you something about computers, no matter what internal bickering occurs. :)

jbkillable

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015

Thank you for being a bit more friendly about questioning, I'm often met with more rude elitist types who can't seem to fathom speaking to someone with lesser knowledge than them.

I do not already have the MSI. The only things I already have are the keyboard and case, everything else is just what I currently have set from an earlier plan and is subject to change.

Um.. I never said the 1070 would be an issue with the 6500, neither did I say that it will bottleneck in all the games. But why don't you admit that it actually will in some?

Oh? :p
That being said, if my first post felt too emphatic, I apologize; I was just trying to keep the OP from worrying that it wasn't going to be worth the money they were going to spend.

That being said, you're correct. There are a handful of poorly-optimized games out there that are incredibly CPU intensive. There are also plenty of games out there that would run just fine on this setup. It just depends what the OP is interested in playing.

Remember, bottlenecking is going to happen somewhere in a system; it's impossible to get a perfectly balanced PC. The question is if it's going to hold parts back from performing as well as they should or otherwise make games less enjoyable, and that's not going to be the case here.

Still not sure what you mean by quoting my previous post then saying I was right.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

an overclocked i5 6600k + gtx 1070 is pretty well balanced i would say

same with a i5 6500 + gtx 1060

or a i3 6100 with a gtx 1050 ti

it's not impossible, it just takes a bit of thinking