144hz 24inch Monitor - What to pay attention to?

BrainY

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Specs:
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl (Stock Fans)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell OC @ 4.0GHz with Noctua NH-D14
MOBO: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G-GAMING
RAM: 2 x 8GB G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
SSD: Toshiba OCZ TR150 2.5" 960GB SATA III
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 7200RPM 16Mb 3GB/s
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
MONITOR: VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms @ 1080p 60hz

I want to get a 144hz monitor around 24inches and I've seen a lot of monitors from price ranges $199 to $500. What do I pay attention to when I buy one?

I'm assuming Asus, Benq, and Samsung are the better brands.
Now some have Gsync and some have FreeSync, and some have none mentioned. What's that all about?

I did some research, but still somewhat confused on what I should pay attention to when buying one. Help would be really appreciated!

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
G-SYNC & FREESYNC = ADAPTIVE SYNC.

Your frames per second will fluctuate and not be consistent, without v-sync, especially when you're playing games at 100+ fps. What adaptive sync does is make sure that every frame is always synced with your monitor's refresh rate. Quite a useful/eye-pleasing technique.

G-sync is only supported for NVIDIA graphics cards whilst Freesync is only supported for AMD graphics cards.

Next, there is IPS vs. TN

IPS panels provide more life-like coloring and usually, the colors have more depth. Whilst TN has less accurate colors, the recently produced ones certainly aren't bad either but still have visibly less depth in coloring, however they are faster in response time.

gondo

Distinguished
Since you have an NVidia card I'd look for a GSync monitor which is $$$$. Those are the $500 24" monitors :)

GSync will allow the monitors refresh rate, when using display port and setup properly, to change and follow the FPS of your game that your video card is pumping out. This results in butter smooth performance with no frame loss.

Next is the panel type. TN is the old standard and is cheap. Today TN panels are very fast with good colors almost as good as an IPS. IPS has been around a while and is the standard for great color. IPS panels are the standard for production monitors like graphic arts and whatnot. They also have good viewing angles which means not much when you sit 2 feet from the monitor with it directly in front of you. Only recently have IPS monitors been used for high end gaming monitors and they are very rare and expensive. VA monitors are new as well and have amazing contrast, so they are even better than IPS. But they are pretty much non existant in the gaming world. For gaming at 144Hz you need very fast response and that's why TN is used.

So 99% of monitors you look at will be TN based. Next you want to check reviews where they test the color output, color uniformity, bleeding, contrast, and stuff like that. This will give you an idea of the picture quality.

If you can't afford the extra money for GSync not to worry, your 1070 can push a 1080p upwards and beyond 100FPS. At these levels GSync is less noticeable.

As far as brands go Samsung actually isn't common with gaming monitors. The better ones and more common ones are Asus, BenQ, Acer. There is also Dell, Viewsonic, AOC, LG, etc... AOC is a very common budget gaming monitor. Toms hardware has a page for the best gaming monitors devided by category. Just go to 24" 1080p and Gsync to see what's listed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-monitors,4533.html

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
Keep in mind Sync technologies cause delays which makes the mouse feel sluggish. This is the reason most competitive gamers have avoided them through the years. I tried G-sync at the store - didn't like it. Better visual quality, ya, but not justified through the cost and "delay" feel.

There is a plethora of YouTube videos explaining why these technologies cause delays. Linus tech tips actually found Freesync to be quicker than G-sync.

Do your research before committing a lot of money to something you might not enjoy. Especially if you're into First person shooters.

frank_hnd

Honorable

not enough input lag to cause a casual gamer to avoid Gsync. Vsync on the other hand... is the mother of all delays, nothing compares to Vsync currently.

Freesync, Gsync, FastSync are all within the lines of acceptable (as close as possible) to no sync. nothing to see here!

gondo

Distinguished
There is minimal lag that will only be apparent by very picky people in RTS or FPS games. And that lag is so minimal it's probably something else causing those people to worry. Also limiting FPS to 120 or so with a program it eliminates that input lag....if it even exists.

I don't feel it's worth loosing the benefits of GSync over 1ms of input lag. Gsync gives butter smooth performance with zero lost frames and zero tearing. Vsync on the other hand or no sync results in tearing and possible lost frames. That could mean missing the glare of an enemy sniper rifle in the bushes in a multiplayer game. GSync or Freesync = no lost frames and no tearing.

Yes it's true that if you can hit over 100Hz consistently adaptive sync is less apparent, but the overall consensus among pros is they love it. 144Hzmonitors.com recommends getting gsync or freesync for the best possible monitors. They also list the pro esports teams currently using adaptive sync.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
I would just go to the store and try G-sync or Freesync before committing to anything. I didn't have a good experience with it. If you're a casual gamer who's new to the scene, you probably won't notice anything. If you've been P.C gaming for 15 years without the use of Sync technologies, you'll notice it.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

I'm interested to see how you've tested a monitor with G-SYNC/Freesync (at a store too?, not sure) and came to that conclusion. Could you explain it?

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

Sure. I hopped in my car and drove to a local computer store. I then saw a display setup with an Acer Predator with G-sync playing the Division. I put my hand on the mouse and proceeded to play the game . I then noticed input lag and asked the store clerk if it was running with G-sync on. It was.

Do you not have computer shops with systems setup for you to try things out? How is that surprising to you?

gondo

Distinguished
Gsync is for when you can't hit the 144Hz limit. If you are bouncing between 120-160FPS for example you will occasionally hit the 144Hz limit of GSync and VSync will kick in causing input lag. That why you disable VSync and limit the FPS of the game to 135 or so. Going to close to 144 will still cause the GSync module to trip into VSync occasionally or disable GSync. So people are limiting FPS to 130 or so using the game options or Rivatuner and input lag is gone.

It's not GSync causing the input lag, it's the VSync that kicks in when if hit the 144Hz limit.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Well, where I live you can't find those things easily. Maybe in the US It's easier, not sure. I own a Freesync monitor personally.

The reason I'm asking it because you have to be careful when setting up using G-sync for gameplay. For example, what was the actual framerate of The Division when you we're playing? Did The Division have any V-sync enabled, or disabled? You need to tweak to get G/Freesync to work optimally. I'm not really sure just how much you can do, and the people working their usually have limited knowledge regarding those things.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

I'm from Canada, Manitoba. This display was at "CDC computers". We have a few local shops that are good for having display setups.

Ya, that's the thing I didn't get into the details of what the settings were on the Sync technology. It was one of those moments when you see a display setup and just quickly try it out.

I should have taken a step back with my post and said that I only tested it briefly. My main point was just to test it before you try it if possible to see if it's right for you. I didn't mean to imply turning down G-sync right away, apologies.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
That's no issue at all. Thing is, I'm usually skeptical when shops showcase such things and most of the time, the people working there really don't have much knowledge regarding such things. They'll just think, ''yeah let's enable G-Sync in the monitor setting and that'll be fine''. It's rather similar with ''Mediamarkt'' (A giant brand for tech shops here), the people working there really are actually clueless and have very limited knowledge about tech. They get hired for skills in the business department instead. I've literally gone there for advice and I was the one actually explaining to customer service how a certain item/device is supposed to work. Quite pathetic in all honesty.

gondo

Distinguished
Gsync and Freesync works well enough, that when setup properly (disabling VSync and limiting framerates to under 144Hz) that people are raving about it.

Some games such as CS:Go actually give an advantage when playing at high framerates. So 250FPS, even though your monitor only displays 144, could allow you to jump further. These are only in certain rare games and you have to have a very good rig to be hitting 250fps. That's an example of when you would disable adaptive sync. Otherwise if tuned properly it has no effect on input lag and reduces tearing and missed frames. It's is the ultimate version of V-Sync which causes the 20ms of input lag. If you can afford it, and want the ultimate gaming monitor, then adaptive sync is a must have. If you want to step it up to ultimate colors or contrast then IPS and VA panels are a must have.

Having an IPS Sync monitor or VA Sync monitor is just new to this year so products are very limited to non existent. You want it your gonna pay for what is available. So $750 for a monitor is not unrealistic, and $500 for a 1070 video card. Your talking $1000-1500 for a basic good gaming setup for monitor and video card alone. I personally have an RX480 and Freesync 1080p monitor. That gets you into $700 territory for the pair. I'm talking Canadian prices so slash those a lot for US. I also have a 2nd 1440p IPS 60Hz monitor for production. The 24" 1080p TN Freesync was more expensive than the 27" IPS 1440p. That's the price you pay for great gaming.

Anyway, adaptive sync asside, read the reviews on the monitors to get an idea of contrast and color accuracy. Do not look at them in store since they won't be adjusted properly. Using a color profile and proper setup will allow for the best results. Let the pro reviewers do the homework for you. Also of importance is the quality of the stand as you want to be able to tilt, raise, lower, and swing and rotate the monitor with ease. Another thing is the ease of use of the on screen menu. There is nothing worse then 5 black buttons and you can't see what does what. My Asus can be controlled form a windows app which is nice, and it has a joystick control on the monitor which is very nice.

BrainY

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
I want to get a monitor for less than $250. I don't need Free-Sync or G-Sync since I don't think that will matter too much while gaming. I believe the jump from 60hz to 144hz will already be outstanding.

I'm mainly looking at ACER or ASUS in that price range. BENQ is out of my league with my budget. I've seen the Acer GN246HL on Amazon for $188. Why is this one so cheap compared to the rest? Why would there be a VGA or HDMI port if 144hz only plays with a DVI-DUAL LINK cord?

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

So you can hook it up to a console or T.V

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Acer monitors can't be calibrated aswell as Asus and other monitors. I really don't suggest Acer as the color quality and lighting of their panels I found to be really poor. That's why they're cheaper obviously.

Take one of these three:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($219.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: Nixeus NX-VUE24A 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $659.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-20 08:53 EST-0500

The AOC one has Freesync, the Nixeus one does too.

gondo

Distinguished
That Asus was on sale in November at all stores. It's a manufacturers sale. I actually own an Asus VG248QE and for a 1080p 24" freesync 144Hz monitor it's nice for the price. An IPS would be even better but then it's more expensive. I like the joystick control of the Asus and how you can instantly check the FPS of the monitor to see if Freesync is working.

I've read many reviews on monitors and something that seems to ring true is how certain Acer monitors seem to lack in the color department. But Acer is so common they seem to release monitors with features before anyone else. If you want an IPS GSync 144Hz 1440p, Acer probably had something available before anyone else. So their predator series usually get good reviews, but maybe only because of a lack of competition.

As for gaming monitors, BenQ always seems to stand out.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Huh, I'm pretty sure the VG248QE has neither freesync support or joystick control?