Smudge water mark like stains on monitor

12of12

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016
After washing washing my monitor with a microfiber cloth I noticed that there were these weird misty smudges that stay on the screen even after the water is dried. I am worried as to how I can remove it because using more water made it worse and I am afraid that I might of done something to the TN panel my monitor has. Should I feel this way or is it completely fine? The display when the pc is on seems okay to me but when it's off and the screen is black, I think it looks a tad bit hideous. Any suggestions as to how to remove it are appreciated :)

YgjoKET.jpg

^^Monitor

79LvlAs.jpg

^^What I used to clean my monitor with; I sprayed this on a cloth.

Solution
I have never seen that but I'm not going to say it can't happen.
I have also had success with just bottled water (the idea is no impurities) and just lightly dampen a clean cloth. Try that first and if it doesn't work then you may need to try the mix I use.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I use bottled water mixed 50/50 with 90% rubbing alcohol. The water prevents the alcohol from drying immediately and leaving streaks.

I dampen the cloth (usually a hanes undershirt) and rub lightly over the surface and keep doing that until it is clean and streak free. Works like a charm.

12of12

Honorable
Sep 7, 2016

are you sure that the alcohol wont remove any coating of any sort from the monitor?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I have never seen that but I'm not going to say it can't happen.
I have also had success with just bottled water (the idea is no impurities) and just lightly dampen a clean cloth. Try that first and if it doesn't work then you may need to try the mix I use.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished
It looks like he picked the answer where I suggested using just bottled water to dampen a soft cloth, like an undershirt made of soft cotton. For really dirty monitors I also use bottled water mixed 50/50 with rubbing alcohol. The key is not to have too much liquid and to be gentle when rubbing the monitor. Then use a dry part of the cloth to do the final wipe and it should look brand new.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014