Should I Buy a Windows 10 Key on Kinguin?

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016
I am building my own PC soon, and would like to have Windows 10 (instead of Ubuntu or other Linux Distribution). I would also NOT like to pay $100+ for Windows 10. My plan was to put the Windows 10 installer on a flash drive, and boot from it on my new PC. Then buy a Windows 10 Home Key from Kinguin.com, and enter it to get access to Windows 10. Kinguin is a popular site, uses PayPal, sells OEM keys, has Kinguin buyer protection for like $2, has very good seller ratings, and have sold hundreds of thousands (maybe millions?) of Windows 10 keys. I don't see why some people say it is so bad? So, is it okay to buy a Windows 10 key from them? Thanks! All help and responses are very much appreciated.

https://www.kinguin.net/category/22175/windows-10-home-oem-key/

Solution

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016

What is the chance of Microsoft disabling a key that someone buys from Kinguin? Also, how do Kinguin people get these keys? If I'm running on a Kinguin Windows 10 key and it gets disabled, will I loose my data? Or what will happen?

it could be a couple days or a couple years. there is no way of telling if it is genuine or a set time they will blacklist it if it is. just suck it up and buy it

we cant give you specific odds

this gets asked all the time

some people go ahead any way and end up on here asking why all of a sudden their windows is saying non genuine

you asked we gave advice your choice in the end

any legit retailer is fine. i know websites like newegg will e-mail you the key after you purchase it. they will still ship you a physical copy with the key but you don't have to wait for it to arrive before you can install it

USAFRet

Titan

Reselling MSDN/TechNet licenses
Obtaining corporate licenses
And the biggie...money laundering. Buy a bunch licenses with stolen credit card numbers...sell them.
Eventually, when the credit card holder and their bank reverse the charges, the license is revoked. Meaning your license.

If you come across 'some dude' that has 1,500 licenses to sell cheap, you gotta ask yourself..where did these come from?
You're not buying from the company called Kinguin, rather you're buying from 'some dude'.
Just like buying from ebay or craigslist. You're are getting it from 'some dude'.

The laundering could easily be supporting terrorism, easy to move, easy to sell on, all digital.

USAFRet

Titan

That's like the guy in the Walmart parking lot with the 70" Sony 4k, selling it for $200, telling you it is 'legit'.

From Kinguins 'competitor', G2A (or possibly the same company):
--------------------
MS & G2A
Quote:
Dear Valued customer,
You have reached Microsoft Customer Service, South East Asia. My name is Rizky and I would address your enquiry. As I understand it, you have inquiry for Microsoft Windows 8 Pro from G2A website. If my understanding is inaccurate, please let me know.
For this information, we have to inform you that it is not recommended by Microsoft to make purchases of these softwares as they are not official and genuine versions that are support by Microsoft activation. Microsoft does not have any vendor agreements with G2A or any of it’s resellers and so this in direct conflict to the Microsoft software license agreement since they are not an authorized electronic supplier of genuine Microsoft software. We cannot verify the genuine sales of the G2A third party seller but without authorization from Microsoft they cannot be genuine supplier.
Sincerely, it was a pleasure helping you. If ever you need further assistance please don’t hesitate to send us an email and we will be more than happy to help you.
Thank you for contacting Microsoft. Have a nice day!
Regards,
Rizky
Customer Service Representative
Microsoft Customer Service, South East Asia (SEA)
-------------------------

You can if you want.
I wouldn't.

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016
I decided to contact a Microsoft Support Tech myself, and I was quite surprised by what she told me about Kinguin. Take a look for yourself. Here is the link to the screenshot: https://postimg.org/image/b3abxavd9/

So at the start of this thread, you asked 'should you'

We've said, no, no, no, no and no.

You keep coming back with 'are you sure', so i'm not sure why you asked the question.

At the end of the day it's your license, they might be a reseller, but given their model of being a market place, them being a reseller is not that relevant.

Ask them if the reseller you are using is recognised... and the credit card that they used to pay for it.

if you just ended up contacting |MS why did ask on here anyway? all you are doing now is wasting peoples time and bandwidth. you came here you to ask a question and we answered it for you. its not our fault you didn't like the answer. we are not yes men

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016

I didn't realize there were lots of different opinions. I thought there was a generally accepted answer to the question, but there isn't. Now I realize that I'm not buying from Kinguin, I'm buying from a seller. Just like eBay. You can't ask if eBay is a legit place.