Computer freezes or won't start up

Splashychicken

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I have had my computer for 2 years roughly and I had no issues other than my gpu wasn't powerful enough to run newer games. About the beginning of the year my pc started freezes almost every minute or so and I was getting fed up. Now I try to turn it on and it gets stuck on Windows 10 loading screen and won't turn on. I really want to use it for gaming and I hope you guys with a better knowledge of computer tech can help. Thank you

Solution
Hi there Splashychicken,

Have you tried to boot into safe mode? If you can do that, then you really do need to back up the data stored on the drive. After that, you can test it with some brand specific testing tool, that can provide a SMART report. Similar issues with computer stuck at the loading screen, could be caused by problems related to the hard drive.

If you can't really boot into safe mode, my suggestion would be to first, try to retrieve your important data. You can do so, if you use some data recovery tool for DOS mode. For example, you can give the Ubuntu Live CD approach a try: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
You will just need to boot up Ubuntu from a CD or a flash drive, access the HDD...
Hi there Splashychicken,

Have you tried to boot into safe mode? If you can do that, then you really do need to back up the data stored on the drive. After that, you can test it with some brand specific testing tool, that can provide a SMART report. Similar issues with computer stuck at the loading screen, could be caused by problems related to the hard drive.

If you can't really boot into safe mode, my suggestion would be to first, try to retrieve your important data. You can do so, if you use some data recovery tool for DOS mode. For example, you can give the Ubuntu Live CD approach a try: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
You will just need to boot up Ubuntu from a CD or a flash drive, access the HDD and transfer your important data.
Once you do that, you can use HDD testing tool for DOS mode in order to check the HDD's health status out.

Also, you can try to run startup repair with your OS CD.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution