Is studying SQL Server database enough to get a IT Job?

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
If I know how to: implement / design and manage databases, migrate to the cloud, scale on demand, work with reporting features, know how SQL Server integrates with SharePoint.
know a little about all the different versions of SQL out there.. MySQL, SQL Server, Access, Oracle, Sybase, DB2, and other database systems. knowing which is good choice for the database design.

Is this enough to get a job?

Plenty of SQL jobs in my area.
Ofcourse with the ridiculous requirements of 40 years of experience.. and must know how to disassemble a honda transmission, etc. But $80k starting pay is pretty enticing.

What is it that an employer is really looking for in a SQL Database Admin / Programmer?
My resume is pretty light at the moment.

Bonus question if you do work in this career field... whats a typical day?
I cant imagine its 40 straight hours a week of programming.

I assume a typical day is some sales rep asking for you to pull out some specific information from all the sales in a database and create a report for them?

Solution
Employer's looking for employees generally have a very good idea about the skillset needed which can include various levels of experience, education, work history, certifications, etc..

Unless it is a very low entry-level position a "pretty light" resume will not match most of today's administrative positions.

The work will be far more complicated than just generating reports. Those can be automated to a large degree.

Merging data from different systems, backing up, testing, upgrades, data recovery, making the process faster and more efficient - endless tasks that will demand more than 40 hours per week. Security is always an issue. In many places you will be documenting things, writing and submitting your own reports and responses...

Ralston18

Titan
Employer's looking for employees generally have a very good idea about the skillset needed which can include various levels of experience, education, work history, certifications, etc..

Unless it is a very low entry-level position a "pretty light" resume will not match most of today's administrative positions.

The work will be far more complicated than just generating reports. Those can be automated to a large degree.

Merging data from different systems, backing up, testing, upgrades, data recovery, making the process faster and more efficient - endless tasks that will demand more than 40 hours per week. Security is always an issue. In many places you will be documenting things, writing and submitting your own reports and responses as directed.

Work is often done outside of normal business hours. Especially if daily work flows cannot be interrupted.

Job descriptions are a good source of information regarding what skills employers are looking for. However, there is often as much unsaid as is said.

Look for some positions you honestly feel qualified for. Submit an application, get some interviews, and see what feedback you receive.

Employers want people who are honest, reliable, willing to work, be part of a team. Able to learn and adapt. Not be a problem for their supervisor or co-workers. Be yourself but be respectful of the work environment - dress and groom appropriately. Study up on the company as best you can. Know about them and what they do.

Maybe you will not get that specific position but something else perhaps. Or maybe a call back if the first guy did not work out...

Solution