Decent 50" TV at fair price

jimbojango

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Hi there,

I'm just looking for some suggestions as to the above please. Black friday/cyber monday is around the corner so hoping to snag an upgrade in the madness, but even if not i'll still be upgrading at some point!

I'm looking for a 50" or bigger screen that doesn't break the bank but with that said I want decent image quality. I'll be using it mainly for console gaming but also for some film & tv of course. My main issue is whether to spring for a 4k or not so it's there for when more content is available (and also Xbox Scorpio when it releases).

There's just so much choice out there so not sure what qualifies as a good screen these days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many Thanks.

Solution
4K TVs have been around long enough that concerns on "New" panel technology (which it really isn't) aren't a concern. Even the newer OLED panels, which would probably be considered 'bank breaking' have pretty good reliability from all accounts.

If your target is Black Friday and Cyber Monday you will have to wait for the deals. As there are so many models to choose from simply listing all of the recommended ones would be tricky. There is also a LOT of options to pick from in the 50-60" range.

I have used this site before. They seem to do a fairly consistent job of testing TVs.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best
I wouldn't bother with 4k yet. It's just going to mean upscaling on the games and the image and QA issues that come with any new panel technology. I give absolutely zero cents to the notion that the xbox scorpio is really going to be able to handle 4K.

Will it look way nicer and have better graphics? Of course, it's newer and at a higher price point. That doesn't mean you should listen to all the marketing. :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4K TVs have been around long enough that concerns on "New" panel technology (which it really isn't) aren't a concern. Even the newer OLED panels, which would probably be considered 'bank breaking' have pretty good reliability from all accounts.

If your target is Black Friday and Cyber Monday you will have to wait for the deals. As there are so many models to choose from simply listing all of the recommended ones would be tricky. There is also a LOT of options to pick from in the 50-60" range.

I have used this site before. They seem to do a fairly consistent job of testing TVs.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

Solution

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
What's you budget range. The Samsung KS8000 series have great pictures, 10 bit panel, wide color gamut, HDR, low lag. upscale normal content extremely well and can stream 4K content from Netflix and Amazon and many other sites.