First i5 build - appreciate your advice on components

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Hi all,

This will be my first home build PC. I'm looking to build something that will last for years, to be used primarily for gaming + the usual (internet, watching video's etc.).
Basically, since this is my first build, i'd appreciate it very much if you can have a look over my parts list. See if there is anything I am wasting money on that I don't need, or anything you would recommend in place of the parts I have selected. I like good value, but never at the expense of quality, but I also don't like paying premium prices for a 0.5% increase in performance or something.
I'm not familiar will all the brands and technical aspects of the parts, so i've been doing a lot of reading up over the last couple weeks, and I think i've come up with a decent system that will hopefully let me overclock in the future, but not extreme like multiple GPU's etc.
I've gone for a setup that will allow me to wade in at the shallow end of overclocking in the future - once i've done my research.

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/ssGyVY

Regarding the individual Selections:

CPU: i5-6600K. I'm not going to be doing much in the way of video editing or anything like that, so the i7-6700K seems unneccesary - If later I find I need that, I could always upgrade with the next gen i7.

CPU Cooler: This is probably the part I am most unsure of. Have put the Dark Rock Pro 3 in there for the moment. Other options would be the Cryorig H7 or Noctua NH-D14, or even the popular Hyper 212 Evo. However, I want to keep my options open on a moderate overclock for the system, so not sure if the 212 Evo will cut it or not? Am I wasting money if I go for the Dark Rock or Noctua?

Motherboard: Asus's Z170-A seems like a pretty good board for a nice price. Plus I like the look :)

GPU: EVGA's GTX 1070 SC version. I'm pretty set on the 1070 really, so its just a matter of brand and version here.

I didn't know this before, but the EVGA version of the 1070 has had some issues with overheating & even catching fire!
I've read that they came up with a firmware fix which basically just makes the fans blow harder. There is a thermal pad fix, which apparently EVGA say is unnecessary but is available for free. This seems kind of a serious issue to just fix with a software update though... does it really fix the underlying issue?
Now if I buy a new EVGA 1070, I can assume it will have the new firmware installed, and can check against the serial number.
Since i'm in NZ i'm not sure how easy it will be to get the thermal pads on offer.
Knowing this, would you still recommend the EVGA unit as a worthwhile card? Or will it now always be running those fans significantly harder than competing cards just to overcome the flaw in the hardware design?

PSU: Options i've looked at here are the EVGA supernova (g2/p2/t2) 650w or the SeaSonic Prime 650w (titanium). Not sure if there is a certain brand better regarded.

Case: If you have any recommendations for a nice case, please let me know. But honestly, I'm pretty in love with the look of the Dark Base Pro 900... If you have recommendations, primarily it should be good for air cooling, and have 2 5.25" bays available. May need to consider some additional case fans in future.

RAM: I've put the Corsair vengence LPX in there for now, but honestly I don't really know which brand is best. From what i've been reading the LPX seems pretty good for the price. 2666 an unnecessary frequency perhaps? Should I go with 2400 or lower?
As I understand it from reading up, the CPU will limit it to 2133 anyway, unless I enable something called the XMP profile in the bios. Since this would technically be an overclock, will I see any issues with the RAM heating up much if I do this?
16GB may be a bit much perhaps, but if I get 8gb now and need to upgrade later it will cost me more so...

Appreciate you taking the time to read thru this and voice your opinion.

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016

Ah haha, yes - I actually just threw that dvd drive in as a placeholder - didn't look into what was available at all. PC Partpicker is great but for NZ at least doesn't show all the options for what is available on the market. Was going to use a site like pricespy to find the actual model :)
Appreciate you looking over the list though.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I think that your list is pretty good. For the CPU cooler I would go with the Cryorig or the 212 EVO especially if you aren't going for hardcore overclocking. The 212 EVO is good and cheap. I use it on my builds and I get good temps and good overclocks as well. Good luck with your build.

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016

Thats great mate, good to hear. Exactly the kind of first hand experience I hoped to get here.
Yeah I don't think I will be going extreme with any OC on this build. As I understand it the Asus board has some kind of function that will optimize the system automatically. I still need to research all that so will cross that bridge when I get to it.
If its between the 2 budget options I think i'll go for the H7.

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016
I didn't know this before, but the EVGA version of the 1070 has had some issues with overheating & even catching fire!
I've read that they came up with a firmware fix which basically just makes the fans blow harder. There is a thermal pad fix, which apparently EVGA say is unnecessary but is available for free. This seems kind of a serious issue to just fix with a software update though... does it really fix the underlying issue?
Now if I buy a new EVGA 1070, I can assume it will have the new firmware installed, and can check against the serial number.
Since i'm in NZ i'm not sure how easy it will be to get the thermal pads on offer.
Knowing this, would you still recommend the EVGA unit as a worthwhile card? Or will it now always be running those fans significantly harder than competing cards just to overcome the flaw in the hardware design?

hagakure_s81

Commendable
May 5, 2016

Thanks Cryptr for the list ;)