Windows 10 crashes during boot and crashes during attempts to use repair or do reset

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
I'm running Windows 10 on a new desktop (e.g. not an upgrade from Windows 7), with an SSD harddrive.

It crashes with a blue screen of death every time I boot now. (This happened after Skyrim crashed and I did a force reboot.)

I've created a bootable thumbdrive, and using F11 at the splash screen I can tell it to boot off the thumb drive. Sometimes it does boot to the screen with repair options, but often it crashes before then.

On those times I can get it to boot to the screen with repair options, I've tried several things. I've tried to repair windows, I've tried to do a reset, I've tried to open a command line (and sometimes succeed), and I've tried to tell it to start in safe mode (never works.) But no matter what I try, the result is another crash.

The closest I've come is twice I have gotten as far as it asking me to choose which system point to roll back to. I choose one. It briefly flashes a message that says "gathering a few things" (or something like that), then the screen goes black, then it reboots to the splash screen and then crashes again.

All these blue screens of death throw up a bunch of different error codes: IIRQ not equal to zero, the kernal whatever, clock time out, and a few others.

Any suggestions?

If this caused by bad drivers, should I try to unplug hardware (this is a homebuilt machine)? If so, which hardware? Also, I do have another desktop that runs Vista. Would hooking up that old HD let me boot Vista and would that then let me access what is wrong in Win 10?

Much thanks to anyone who can help.

Solution

You should remove the cooler and re-apply your TIM. (Important) Clean up the old paste with Isopropil alcohol 95% (not rubbing alcohol)
I use Arctic S5 or you can use MX4. Both have excellent thermal conductivity. Use as sparingly as possible to fill the tiniest of voids. Go here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm Read the link on how to apply thermal compound.
Remember sparingly....
Using another HDD to boot from will not help and would not work.
You would need to list your full system specs for a proper analysis however I would clear CMOS and update the Bios and see how you go. If still BSOD then your dump file will need to be analysed. It could be driver related or corruption within Windows file system.
If it continues and Windows is not stable then a clean install of W10 would be best.

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016

Thanks very much for the reply. Can you tell me how to clear CMOS and update BIOS?

System specs are as follows:
OEM INTEL CORE I7-6700K 4.0GHZ 8MB INTEL SMART CACHE
500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SERIES SSD 2.5" SATAIII
NVIDIA GTX 980 TI 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 X 16
MSI Z170A GAMING M7 3WAY SLI/CROSSFIRE ATX SATA 6 ULTA

(At this point, only 1 try out of 4 loading from the recovery USB actually gets to the repair screen. Usually it's BSOD before that.)

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Oh, and is there any advantage to using the original Windows 10 CD rather than a recovery thumb drive? I don't currently have a CDRom on the computer, but I can probably hook one up.

I have found the best way to install W10 is to use an empty thumb drive. Download the ISO file from windows media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
You can ofc use a CD drive and use the installation CD if you want to hook one up.

To clear CMOS, or update Bios.
Go here for Bios download and your latest Bios is 1.G. : https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M7.html#down-bios

Resetting BIOS
You might need to restore the default BIOS setting to solve certain problems. There
are several ways to reset BIOS:
●●Go to BIOS and press F6 to load optimized defaults.
●●Short the Clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard.
●●Press the Clear CMOS button, on the rear I/O panel. (Only for the motherboard
with clear CMOS button.)

Updating BIOS
Updating BIOS with M-FLASH
Before updating:
Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI
website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive.

Updating BIOS:
1. Press Del key to enter the BIOS Setup during POST.
2. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.
3. Select the M-FLASH tab and click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash
mode.
4. Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.
5. After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot
automatically.

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Wow, thank you for these clear and detailed instructions.

I have successfully updated the BIOS to the latest version. (It shows the latest version info in the BIOS setup screen.)

Then I cleared the CMOS using the button on the back (while power was all the way off.)

Should I have done that in the reverse order?

This has definitely changed the screens I'm seeing, but it's still ending with BSOD. The first boot up after the BIOS update (but before clearly CMOS) it booted further than it has before and gave me an option to "repair" or "shut down." I chose "repair" and it scanned for sometime before saying "system could not be repaired." That's new.

Is there anything I should do to setup the BIOS after clearing CMOS? And what should I try now? Should I continue trying to reset or repair using the recovery thumb drive?

Again, thank you for your help. It's really kind and generous of you.

Very often a clear CMOS from the rear IO panel is all you would need to do. This can be done with just power to the MB.
Updating Bios is very often done for stability, new USB devices and RAM upgrades. When you get a BSOD it is usually drivers that cause the Kernel crash. You can checked in Device Manager. If there are yellow triangles against drivers then they need to be removed or updated.
If you can't because the BSOD occurs immediately then its best to either attempt a repair or a clean install of the OS. If it still occurs then the BSOD full dump file needs to be analysed as it may also be hardware related.
Go here for DUMP file explanations: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/bsod-finding-and-fixing-them/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
So we're making progress maybe. The system is now stable enough that I can reliably boot into the repair menu. I'm tried rolling back the system to the two restore points. Both times it scanned for some time, but then gave an error saying that the restore could not be completed and no files were changed.

On a normal boot up, it now gets all the way to the decorative image page before BSOD. Trying to start in safe mode, I get to the log in screen, but after I type in the password, it's BSOD.

I'll work on the DUMP file you linked. Any other ideas?

If you can't get a dump file because of the BSOD, then I recommend a clean install with your updated Bios and set to default. If a clean install does not fix the problem then you have a hardware issue IMO.
Post will interrogate your system parameters and load necessary drivers when post hands over to your OS. If errors continue, it will be hardware and your HDD or SSD would need to be also checked.

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Am I understanding correctly that the dump file can only be accessed if I can get into safe mode? (Which I can't do.)

And by "clean install" do you mean a full wipe of the SSD, erasing all my documents and files? Ugh.

Putting Windows 10 onto a new HDD, making that the master and my current SSD a slave -- would that at least allow me to access my files to save them, or is there really no way to save my files at this point?

Your Dump files are located in the Windows directory as a mini dump or .DMP file.
If you can't get to them because of the BSOD then a clean install is best.

Yes you should be able to get your important files by loading the OS on another drive as a temp solution.
You would be able to access your important files once an OS is installed on the other HDD.
Backup all important files if you can.
If you go this way, disconnect the SSD and prioritize your HDD. Connect the SSD later then backup what is important to you.
Naturally the SSD is the faster drive however once your backed up you can then format the SSD and perform a clean install on that.

Prior to a clean install, check in Bios that Windows 10 WHQL Support is enabled as I think default is [Disabled]
[Enabled] The system will switch to UEFI mode to meet the Windows requirement.
[Disabled] Disables this function.
It Enables support for Windows 8.1/ 10 or disables for other operating systems.
Before enabling this item, make sure all installed devices & utilities (hardware &
software) meet the Windows 10 requirements

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Bad news. I did a clean install on a brand new SSD (with the old SDD unplugged), and the computer still crashes. "System service exception." Am I right to think this means a problem with other hardware, e.g. GFX or ram? How do I go about trying to troubleshoot & isolate the culprit?

Thanks for the help.

You can test your RAM sticks individually, try just one stick in the first slot and try switching them around.
If your able to boot from a USB then use memtest86+. Set boot priority to the USB and run the test on all RAM.
You would have to test your GPU in another system. You can also test the iGPU by removing the GPU and set Bios for iGPU.

The System Service Exception error can occur due to several reasons, including:

Corrupted or missing protected system files
Automated update services such as Google Update service
Video drivers or other drive issues
Bad memory or antivirus/antispyware/security programs
Pending updates or Buggy updates etc.

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Here's where things stand now.
I've done a new install on a brand new hard drive = same problem/BSOD
Cleared cmos again = no change
Tried ram sticks in different slots & different order & singly = no change
Memtest86+ for 15 passes = no errors (so RAM seems good)
Removed Graphics card and installed working graphics card from another computer = still same problem
Right now the computer reliably boots to the login screen, but crashes immediately after every time, with varying error codes. And I've never been able to boot in safe mode.

Since I'm using a brand new SSD with a new install, and I had already updated/flashed BIOS, am I right to think this cannot be about software or drivers?

If it's not RAM, SSD, or Graphics card, that seems to leave either the Mobo or the power supply. (I use onboard sound and onboard networking.) Power supply seems unlikely since it everything powers up and the error occurs always in the same place in boot up. Is there anyway to actually test whether the mobo is damaged? Or do I just buy a new board and hope that does it?

Thanks again for all the help.

Well if it comes down to either PSU or MB then both will have to be tested. If you don't have the parts to swap out then your local computer store is your best hope. Have the CPU, PSU and MB tested together.
You say you can't get into Safe Mode. Why.?
Normally continually depressing the F8 function key after Post cycle when the splash screen is about to appear will bring up the option to enter Safe Mode and other options to repair your Windows OS.
Its strange as you can boot to the login screen and that usually indicates a driver or service fault and not a hardware issue.

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Yeah, I've tried safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt -- all that crashes just as I get to the login screen.

When I use F8 to get into the advanced troubleshooting options, I've tried refreshing and resetting the PC with the old hard drive. I guess I haven't with the new hard drive. (Don't see the point as the new hard drive is a clean install) -- but I'm trying that now.

When I try the "repair" option, it makes the "thinking" image briefly and then says "can't repair the computer."

I can get a command prompt from that "advanced options" screen -- are there any useful commands to try? Keep in mind that I can't boot in safe mode, so I can't access any files.

Yeah, this is pretty aggravating. I appreciate your help. I've ordered a new mobo, and I may just try installing that hoping that's the fix. But it will kind of suck if putting in a new mobo still doesn't fix this....

If you have a command option there are a few things to try.

When you have the command prompt open, type the following commands:
start msconfig
start taskmgr.exe

In the msconfig, go to the services tab, check 'hide Microsoft services' and disable every other service

In the taskmanager, go to the startup tab and disable everything.

Go back to msconfig, click apply, click ok and reboot the system.

Maybe there is an issue in the Boot sector so try the following:
Bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

And try to repair again.

Yes it sucks for sure if the new MB does not fix the issue.

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
When I do "start msconfig" it says "the system cannot find the file msconfig."

"Start taskmgr.exe" does work. But I don't see any "start up" tab. The only tabs are applications, processes, services, performance, and networking. (In fact, visually it looks like the old Vista task manager, nothing like the image shown here: http://www.howtogeek.com/162446/how-to-manage-startup-applications-in-windows-8/)

Under the "services" tab, there are a lot listed. A few are running. Most are stopped. Don't know if that is useful.

Why is the msconfig missing?

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
bootrec /fix mbr = says it completed successfully
bootrec /fixboot = says it completed successfully
bootrec /rebuildbcd = says completed successfully / "total identified windows installations: 0" ---- is that normal?

Blocking access to msconfig is very often Malware. But that can't be your issue as its a new install.
You say you did a clean install of the OS on a brand new SSD. What method did you use to install the OS.? Was it via ISO from USB or DVD and did you use the Media Creation Tool.?
Everything points to an erroneous installation.
With the system Bios set back to default and updated a clean install should work if done correctly.
"total identified windows installations: 0" is not normal and should show 1

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
When I did the clean install, here was my procoess:
1) brand new & unused SSD, 2) Media Creation Tool on thumb drive, 3) booted off thumb drive, 4) clicked install, 5) chose custom install, 6) followed basic prompts, 7) there was no specific prompt for 32 bit vs 64 bit or home vs professional, but websites suggested that was chosen automatically.

The Media Creation Tool thumbdrive I used was the same one I had been using to try to repair the original SSD -- if it's malware, is it possible the Media Creation Tool got infected?

That clean install SSD had been working up until the login screen. But unfortunately, I tried do to redo the install (thinking it might not have worked right) but the computer crashed in the middle of that process. So now the new SSD is now unable to boot to reliably even to the repair screens.

I do have an older desktop that is currently running Vista. It's not a big deal to upgrade that to Windows 10. Is there anyway I can use that to usefully troubleshoot? I'm trying to think if there is a way to use that old machine to do a clean install that I could then move over into the new machine to test. For example, if I upgrade I could create a fresh Media Creation thumbdrive. Or I could do a clean Win10 install on the old HDD and then connect one of these new SSDs as a slave. Would that allow me to boot and see anything useful on the new SSDs? Or I could try moving the old HDD into the new machine and try a fresh install? Or some other combo?

(The old machine has an older mobo that only supports DDR3 RAM and an older chipset. I can swap around the GPU and hard drives, but not ram or cpu.)

If it was me, I would delete the ISO on the USB and re-download. Make sure the USB is formatted to Fat32 and also re-format the SSD.
Clear CMOS again and check Bios parameters in Settings and choose Windows 10 WHQL support.
Leave the W7 installation disabled. Fast boot disabled for now.
Make sure W10 WHQL support is enabled. I believe it is disabled by default.

I have read others having installation issues with the Z170A GAMING M7 MB and it would appear that its not as strait forward as it is with others. Unfortunately I don't have personal experience with your MB.
Also check that the chipset driver is up to date.?

I have read your MB manual and on page 75 it describes OS installation. Check the procedure against what you are doing however, The USB ISO method should work.
Also you will have no benefit using the OLD Vista system. Anything you do will not work with your new system even if you could successfully load W10. An OS from one setup will not work on another.
There is a good site to review methods for W10 installation.
Go here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

You might want to try using Rufus software from here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Kinnear5

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for these new ideas, and Rufus is great. I followed your directions (except I'm not aware of a way of updating chipset drivers without having the computer booted?). This did create some visual differences (now the post screen looks totally different, for some reason). It went through the whole setup process as before, even prompting for my user name. But then, as before, crashed immediately as soon as the install got to the final boot up.

After that, I tried the msconfig and bootrec commands, and got the same result. It says msconfig doesn't exist, and when doing bootrec /rebuildbcd it says there are zero installations of windows.

The new mobo arrived today, so I think I'm going to try that now. (Gigabyte z170x) Hopefully that will work. This whole thing is just so weird.

Thanks again for all your time and help. Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving.