Active or passive DP to HDMI adaptors for Nvidia Surround?

Rankin McKechnie

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
So I'm about to buy a few monitors for my computer (A couple of these). My current monitor is 1920x1080 along with the others I'm planning to get. All the monitors are HDMI only, but my graphics card (GTX 1070 Founder's Edition) only has one HDMI port. The other inputs are all DisplayPort.

To fix this problem, I'll need a couple of DP to HDMI adaptors. I was planning on buying two passive adapters (This one to be exact.) , but this raised the question: Would passive adaptors work with surround, or would I need all active adaptors? I've heard 'Yes' and 'No', but I'm not getting a clear answer. What do you think?

Solution

DP++ probably can't do a 6 monitor display, which is why people suggest you use an active adapter, which...

DP++ probably can't do a 6 monitor display, which is why people suggest you use an active adapter, which doesn't utilize DP++. The GPU still thinks its a regular DP port.

DP++ probably can do a 3 monitor display, which is why people suggest you use a passive adapter. Basically the GPU knows that there is a passive converter and uses DP++, which has a lower bandwidth limit.

I use passive adapters and have no problems running 3 monitors, even in surround.

The reason you're getting mixed results is because there is no correct answer to your question - it depends.

Solution

Rankin McKechnie

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

So from what I understand: 1. My graphics card has DP++ ports (the specs list DP 1.4), and 2. With passive adaptors, surround should work fine, correct?