System won't boot after time change

czyan

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
I previously had problems with my pc which involved me having to remove CMOS battery to fix it. I wanted to set the time as it changed so I clicked on/off 'set time automatically' and right after my computer shut down and won't boot back up, exactly what happened before except before it was because of something else.

Solution
Try removing some parts. First unplug every USB device you have connected to that board and see if it turns on. Then do the same with the GPU. If that doesn't work remove all the hard drives. Finally remove both RAM sticks and check if it turns on and the fans start spinning. It won't post without the RAM, but it may proceed one step further. Finally use only one RAM stick and test it in every board RAM slot, one at a time.

All the previous issues are related and you may have a defective PSU or motherboard. The fact that these are new parts doesn't mean that they are working perfectly. You could try borrowing another PSU from a friend and testing your system with it. That way you'll know if the PSU is OK and then turn your attention to...
The time change is irrelevant, it's just a coincidence. Something else is going on. Try resetting the CMOS/BIOS with the jumper method or remove the CMOS battery and wait for 1-2 minutes. Off course before you do that you have to unplug your PC from the wall, or turn off the PSU switch on the back of your case.

czyan

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
i5 6600k
hyper 212 evo
evga 600W bronze psu
zotac gtx 1060
Asus Z170 A mobo
WD Blue Hdd
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8gb Ram

The mobo has lights that show whether there is power and individual lights light up during boot up process to show which step it's on, none of the lights light up including the POST light. Only the power light and XMP light are on. Also, I hear a short whine when I press the power, maybe cpu?

Your system seems to be relatively new. When did you bought it? Did you build it yourself? Did you bought the PSU around the same time with the rest of the system? Also you briefly mentioned that you had to remove the CMOS battery before because of something else. What was that? Do the fans spin when you press the power button? It's important because if they don't spin then it means that you can't reach the post process which seems like a power problem somewhere. Also does your system has an internal speaker in order to hear if it reports back any beep codes?

EDIT: It shouldn't be the CPU, more likely PSU or motherboard. Just make sure that all the power cables are properly connected to your board especially the CPU power connector.

czyan

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Bought it half a month ago psu included and built it myself. I had to remove CMOS because the same thing happened when I was installing a driver for usb adapter, I was restarting a lot so maybe power fluctuations caused it or the downloading caused it (it shut down while downloading)...fans do not spin at all when power is pressed and no system speaker.
EDIT: It worked perfectly fine for 2 weeks until that driver download. A few days before I was getting shut downs due to Asus' anti power surge and I read that asus' anti power surge is not good so I turned it off. But even then I was able to turn pc back on.

czyan

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Ok, I unplugged everything except cpu, mobo, fans, 1 pc ram and when power on the fans turned...so i got excited as this was how i fixed it last time (except last time I left hdd plugged in). I plugged everything in and...no fans turning
EDIT: CMOS batt was also out when successful power on

Try removing some parts. First unplug every USB device you have connected to that board and see if it turns on. Then do the same with the GPU. If that doesn't work remove all the hard drives. Finally remove both RAM sticks and check if it turns on and the fans start spinning. It won't post without the RAM, but it may proceed one step further. Finally use only one RAM stick and test it in every board RAM slot, one at a time.

All the previous issues are related and you may have a defective PSU or motherboard. The fact that these are new parts doesn't mean that they are working perfectly. You could try borrowing another PSU from a friend and testing your system with it. That way you'll know if the PSU is OK and then turn your attention to the motherboard. One easy way to know if the PSU can turn on, and isn't dead, is to do the paperclip test but it won't tell you whether your PSU is working perfectly.

Solution

czyan

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Ok so even with ram sticks removed it won't work. The psu fans turn on using the paper clip test but I'm assuming even if they turn on it can be defective?

Yes,the fact that it turns on is a good sign but in order to conclude that your PSU is OK, you need to test your system with another PSU first. If it works then you have the suspect, if it doesn't then you have to turn your attention to the motherboard. If you aren't able to properly boot your system and after all those troubleshoot efforts you should consider RMAing it but only after being 100% sure that the PSU is fine. I'd say it's 50-50 between PSU and motherboard. Good luck.

PS. I forgot to mention that one last step before returning the motherboard is reseating the CPU to the motherboard socket, just in case a pin doesn't make enough contact.

czyan

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
This morning I reseated the cpu cord and it turned on...I'm soo confused what the problem is now. I will continue to observe. Thank for the help.

It could be the motherboard or PSU. Something is going on with the power delivery on your system. It may be a simple thing such as a problematic capacitor on the PSU or motherboard. Just make sure everything is connected properly and continue to observe. You could update the BIOS to its latest version. It may fix some motherboard bugs but in your situation it may again cause the same issues. For the record I once had a motherboard which was out of warranty that had a bad capacitor on the memory VRM and once in a while it wouldn't turn on, so I had to remove and reinstall the RAM every time and then it worked but after a year or two it died. If your board has a bad component somewhere you should RMA it before the warranty expires. Likely you have plenty of time till then. Good luck.