Blue Screen installing Windows 10 from USB on new build

KoreyInglin

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 10 on a new machine that I just built. I have created a bootable USB flash drive using the Windows tool. After selecting the USB device from the boot menu, the blue screen of death appears, sending the computer into an endless reboot cycle and giving me a new blue screen error each time. The errors include as an example the following three:

• Stop Code: EXCEPTION SCOPE INVALID;
    Stop Code: KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE;
    Stop Code: PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA

I'm not very familiar with changing settings in the motherboard setup menu. Based on my troubleshooting so far, I have tried changing the hard drive from ACHI to IDE setting, but that did not work. I have exhausted my ideas so now seeking help.

Did I buy incompatible components? Here is the list of hardware:
MB: Gigabyte Micro ATX DDR3 2133 NA Motherboard GA-F2A88XM-D3HP
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin Desktop Memory Module
HDD: WD 1TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA2 (3.0Gb/s) 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive
GPU: PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 380X DirectX 12 AXR9 380X 4GBD5-PPDHV2E 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am just about fed up with this thing.

Solution

Get 2 x 1gb RAM sticks and remove what you...

KoreyInglin

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Thank you for confirming compatibility. I've tried installing from different boot USB, even one that worked perfectly on another build. I've tried running it with different (confirmed to be working) memory, same issue. I can't try it with pulling the GPU, because the CPU doesn't have onboard graphics so I don't see anything on the monitor.

To make all of this worse, everything is past return date and I wouldn't even know which part to return. So, I feel like my only (horrible) option is to pursue an endless rabbit hole of buying new parts and wasting money until I find out what is wrong. And with my luck, I will replace every component and find out that that wasn't the issue either.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

Get 2 x 1gb RAM sticks and remove what you currently have. Test with that, it's not meant to give good performance but it should boot up with no problem, assuming that the current RAM is the problem. If you get the same error just return the RAM you just bought.

Oh and by the way, you put the RAM in dual channel right? If not that can(might:/) cause BSOD's as well.

Solution

KoreyInglin

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016

Hi there - the answer was defective memory out of the box. Replaced the memory and fixed it.

I ended up trying three different sets of memory sets before it finally worked.

Mx Fragz

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Thank you very much for your reply.

Did you have 2 ram sticks or only one?
Because I thought about that problem considering how inconsistent the error messages were.
So I removed one stick and tried with one connected only. Didn't work, so I tried the other one alone. Didn't work either.

Both ram sticks wouldn't be faulty, would it?