What's going on with Best Answers?

Hello all,
Once again, I have a question that's best aimed at moderators, admins and other ranked users. I'm sure you guys are sick of me by now. XD

So, recently I've been getting a metric crap ton of Best Answer Selected and Question Solved emails on posts that haven't had any activity in months. I was wondering, is this a problem with the forum or is this the moderator team going around and selecting answers for abandoned posts? Also (likely because of this), I've seen users in the top ranks of badges that have more solutions for this month than they have answers. Is this related?

One final question... Since there was that issue a little while back when Best Answers were being lost for whatever reason, is the moderator team just doing whatever they can to make up for that? Is that part of the circumstances here? Okay, that was two questions.

Thanks to all that offer information.

-Darren

Everyone once in a while when time permits, mod's and certain staff will go through and select best answers on old threads. You took the time to answer, even the OP didn't credit you, or give you a BA, you should still get credit for helping. I get it too all the time. lol.

Also, this is in hope that people will use the search function, (they never do), find your best answer (never do) and then not post a thread about the EXACT same topic over and over and over and over and over again (they will).

Wow that's everything I wanted to know all in one response. Thank you sir... Or Ma'am. Your username doesn't really tell me whether you're male or female...

Can't say from a user perspective .... yesterday I went to reply to a post that I already had Best Answer for and instead of reply, I hit Best Answer and took it away from myself :) ... I don't look at it too much ... have like 4500 messages in there to read so i just ignore it. I do look just to see if I'm still being useful. I usually will try and include enough references such that a user asking a question isn't wondering what I am trying to say ...still fail oft enough tho :0

So I do like to look at that and see the ratio is good... if I can can manage to say get a best answer for 1 in 8 messages, seems well enough ... if drops below 1 in 10, than I know I'm getting lazy :)

As peeps look at an older thread and see a "best answer" selected, sometimes that will be veto'd so your count can go down... As i said took one of my own away yesterday ... (ah the guy was crazy ! .. he shudn't have gotten best answer !)

But if someone is perusing a thread, and see where a best answer was selected but the BA recipient's answer was misleading or simply incorrect, it will sometimes get veto'd. I have done it myslef 2 or 3 times over the years.

Aha, that explains my exact same question that weberdarren97 has:
I have also experienced some weird private messages that I have been selected for the best answer and that has been going on for at least a week - more than 20 of them, for replies that I made half a year back.

I was just wondering what is going on here?

Sincerely, from Sweden
Ps. I''m sorry for my poor english grammar.

I must say, I really don't care at all, point or badges here or there. The most important for me is to try to help people with problems and once in a while when they are coming back and say: thank You, that means more to me.

Another thing, not to forget: I myself is also learning from the questions I do not immediately have an answer too - and I must seek after - don't we all?
Best Regards, from Sweden :)

*insert thumbs up here*