New monitor randomly flashing black Nvidia card, fine if go internal video? Help!

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Ok, so I bought a brand new HP 27" IPS display not paying attention to current trends and monitors doing away with DVI so now I'm stuck using HDMI I have a Zotac 750ti which only has a mini hdmi. I ordered a MONOPRICE HDMI mini to HDMI cable, and well waiting for it to arrive it I installed the new monitor and used the internal graphics on my MSI mobo (Intel 2500) it worked beautifully on YCbCr. And using the included HDMI cable from the box, which is a bit beefier and has ferrites on either end (where as the monoprice doesn't).

Fast forward 4 days later I finally got my new cable from Monoprice, I uninstalled the Intel driver and reinstalled my Zotac card and driver. I forgot what version driver I was on but my screen randomly flashes just goes black and back. I tried both YCbCr and RGB Full (limited looks washed out). I uninstalled the driver and did a clean install of 373.06 I know there is a newer version but I couldn't get it to decompress from the download on Nvidia site (going to try guru3d maybe)

Is my problem the graphics card? The driver? Or the cable? I wish I had another cable to eliminate. Are there any better affrodable Hdmi mini to Hdmi cables? I really don't want to go back to internal graphics when I have a decent graphics card but if I can't come up with a solution I'll have to do just that.

Solution
Well I think I finally fixed this, googling around I am far from the only one having this problem and with NVIDIA only. People that have the problem have gone to Nvidia control panel | Display | Adjust Desktop color settings look for a drop down box that says "content type reported to the display" change it from Auto to Desktop programs.

So far it's helped

gaborbarla

Distinguished

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

Thanks for the reply, what I bought is a 6' cable that is mini one end and HDMI other end. I was thinking the cable would be a better solution then just an adapter and give me less headaches. I might try getting adapter like you posted and using the HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
More information: I been able to duplicate it several times by Video going full screen then exiting either from Youtube (on chrome) or video on news/entertainment sites. Other times it's just been completley random open or close Chrome (also tried firefox) minimize a window etc... it's just so random

Just now I took the card out and reseated it, and also reseated the cable on the card and monitor also switched it from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 I doubt any of this will help but I'm trying to think of anything.

biggames0101

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
So, i had your problem with my Palit 750 TI, which again, has only mini HDMI and no HDMI, it's the mini HDMI adapter/cabel/port, i've gone VGA (yeah, i know, i know) just to see is it the same, and my monitor was no longer flashing black.. I won't rely on a mini HDMI - HDMI connection, as in the past i've also had a few bad experiences.. Go with a DVI-HDMI connection..

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

Thanks for the reply, the DVI to HDMI was a no go for me as well, I tried it about fortnight ago. I gave up and bought a junk card, I need a spare anyway it seems, it's an ATI Radeon R7 240 with native HDMI out. No flashing black. I"m convinced at this point there is a problem with the Zotac 750ti card so I've set up an RMA and sent the card off to the manufactures facility, hopefully they will repair it or I'll be out the cost of the card plus the shipping I just paid to get it there.

biggames0101

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

Well, i hope they fix it for you :)

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Well Zotac said they tested the graphics card extensively and found no issues but was going to send a replacement anyway. Fast forward a few weeks I got the new (used? refurb? def not new) card in the mail and installed it. There have been a few instantces where it's flashed black mainly streaming Netflix going full screen and going back to normal and again on Youtube. But it's not as constant as the other card, at this point I can only assume that this monitor and Nvidia do not get allong for what ever stupid reason. My choices will be to either go back to the cheap R7 240 I bought, internal video, or waste even more money and get a better Radeon card. Already past the return window for this new monitor. Had I know it didn't have DVI I would of never wasted my time #lessonlearned I might call HP Monday and see if they can either come up with a new driver or have something .

comfortablynumb

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Well I think I finally fixed this, googling around I am far from the only one having this problem and with NVIDIA only. People that have the problem have gone to Nvidia control panel | Display | Adjust Desktop color settings look for a drop down box that says "content type reported to the display" change it from Auto to Desktop programs.

So far it's helped

Solution